This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Oct 7, 2009 6:05 AM by 843802 RSS

Security warning on 1.6 Deployment when using previous versions

843802 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello

At our company we currently have a corporate application which runs on Java 1.4.2_08.

The updated version of the application uses java 1.5.0_12.

However to do a phased roll out and to cater for other java applications within the company
we want to deploy java 1.6.0_15 plugin. We know this starts previous versions of the java
runtime environment when needed and it does work a treat.

The problem is when you start the application or invoke a print, you always get a security warning.
Even if you have accepted the certificate. Its as though anything that doesnt run with java 1.6.0_15,
it always prompts you about it starting a previous version of java which may not be secure.

Is there anyway to circumvent this security warning within our deployment or for certain applications
or for certain servers ?

Thanks in advance.
  • 1. Re: Security warning on 1.6 Deployment when using previous versions
    843802 Newbie
    I am having the same problem. We also use an application that needs an older version of Java...
    Ofcourse: we cannot just disable the old versions, since the app would then not run anymore.

Anyone have a solution yet? My users are getting very annoyed :(
  • 2. Re: Security warning on 1.6 Deployment when using previous versions
    843802 Newbie
    Unfortunately i dont think its possible.
    You'd think a deployment could restrict warnings for a local intranet, or have an exception list.

There was another answer i did see but i would not recommend this at all. Even the person who put the post up does not recommend it.
    http://forums.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5253971

You have two options, do not have java 1.6 on the desktop as this is the version that brings up the security warning. Or you can try the new
    application with java 1.6 (As long as all functionality is tested). This will satisfy your new app, but not the applications that run of the older
    java runtime environments. (we are going to test the application under 1.6 even though its not a supported certification by the vendor.)