This discussion is archived
1 Reply Latest reply: Mar 26, 2010 7:34 PM by 793415 RSS

Deploying a desktop database application

843804 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello Everybody,
Sorry , this may be a very basic question , I wrote a desktop database application in core java , I use MySql for database.The JAR file is working perfectly in my computer , also running from the IDE (Netbeans) is also fine , but when i run the jar file in another computer with JRE and MySQL installed, it gave me an exception message stating that the required tables where not present, When i created the needed database tables , the application worked fine.My questions are
1 : How do we manage the "setting up the database tables" when we install/deploy the application in a client computer ? .
2 : In a real world scenario , to develop an desktop inventory application , which java technologies need to be used ?.
3 : Is there a concept like install shield , in java language , so that the user can decide where to install the application. ?// googling this qery pointed me to some third party tools

Thanks in advance
mgeo
  • 1. Re: Deploying a desktop database application
    793415 Pro
    Currently Being Moderated
    mgeo wrote:
    ..1 : How do we manage the "setting up the database tables" when we install/deploy the application in a client computer ? .
    Install the app. using [Java Web Start|http://java.sun.com/javase/technologies/desktop/javawebstart/index.jsp]. JWS includes the ability to call an ExtensionInstallerService that sets up the DB when first invoked.