This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: May 13, 2009 2:55 AM by 843804 RSS

Problem on JRE 6u13 deployment silently

843804 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello,

I am having an issue when deploying jre-6u13 to my clients silently. If users are logged in and have any IE open, the install prompts them to close the browsers before it will continue.

This is the command line I am using to deploy JRE 6u13 silently.
jre-6u13-windows-i586-p-s.exe /s ADDLOCAL=ALL IEXPLORER=1 MOZILLA=1 REBOOT=Supress

Is there any method to solve this issue in order to avoid user interaction?

B. regards,
Rick
  • 1. Re: Problem on JRE 6u13 deployment silently
    843804 Newbie
    ricktimes wrote:
    This is the command line I am using to deploy JRE 6u13 silently.
    jre-6u13-windows-i586-p-s.exe /s ADDLOCAL=ALL IEXPLORER=1 MOZILLA=1 REBOOT=Supress

Is there any method to solve this issue in order to avoid user interaction?
    You misspelled the last option. It should be REBOOT=Suppress

BTW, you can always kill IE using the following command (this works on MS Windows XP and Windows Server 2003, don't know for other systems):
    taskkill /im iexplore.exe /f
    Actually the deployment is best done by a Windows startup script.
    E.g. put the following lines in a .cmd file and make it run at system startup by cmd.exe.
    rem - This script installs Java SE Runtime Environment (JRE).
    rem - Successfully tested on MS Windows XP Professional SP3.

eventcreate /l application /so "%~n0%~x0" /t information /id 1 /d "Starting %~f0"

rem - Directory path of this script.
    set p=%~d0%~p0

rem - Exit the script if the log file exists.
    set log_file=%systemdrive%\install_jre.log
    if exist %log_file% goto :eof

rem - Run the JRE installer silently and create a log file.
    rem - (Set another path if the installer is not in the directory of this script)
    "%p%jre-6u13-windows-i586-p-s.exe" /log %log_file% /s ADDLOCAL=ALL IEXPLORER=1 MOZILLA=1 REBOOT=Suppress
    rem - Disable Java Updater.
    reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run" /v SunJavaUpdateSched /f

eventcreate /l application /so "%~n0%~x0" /t information /id 1 /d "%~f0: Done"
    goto :EOF
    The script does nothing if the specified log file exists.
    The log file is created by the JRE installer at the first invocation of the script.
    You can check the log file for installation results and delete it if you want to repeat the installation.

-- rpr.
  • 2. Re: Problem on JRE 6u13 deployment silently
    843804 Newbie
    Hi rpr,

Thanks for your reply.
    There's something to be concerned

1. If using the startup script, my Client has not the admin right to install the JRE.
    2. IE is the one of the client applications. There are other applications which will use JRE. I can't predict which application user are using during the installation.

Thanks
  • 3. Re: Problem on JRE 6u13 deployment silently
    843804 Newbie
    ricktimes,

I wrote that the script had to be run as a system startup script, which is a script that runs when the Windows system starts. The script should not be used as a user logon script, which runs when a user logs on to Windows.

If the client computer is member of an Windows domain, you can create a Group Policy Object to run such a script at computer startup. You have to edit the following settings of the GPO:
    Computer Configuration -> Windows Settings -> Scripts -> Startup

The system startup scripts can also be defined by Windows Task Scheduler (the Scheduled Tasks applet in Control Panel). You can access it over the network if you open *\\computer_name* in Windows Explorer (note that your user account must have administrative privileges on the remote computer).

Another way to schedule a script to run at system starup is by using the schtasks command line tool. It is explained in the Windows Help. Use the command with the */sc ONSTART* option.

-- rpr.