3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2010 3:03 PM by 843804

Java 6 JRE offline install still accesses internet

This is irksome to put it lightly,

Both the 64 and 32 bit installation executables attempt to reach the net (sjremetrics.java.com) on install. How can I prevent this? The list of silent install options provides no clues, and the sun download site has no offline option.

What obvious thing am I missing?
      brandon-
        • 1. Re: Java 6 JRE offline install still accesses internet
          I assume you are talking about Windows.
          - Download the offline installer file.
          - Run "route -f" to flush all gateway routes.
          - Install file.
          - Reboot.
          • 2. Re: Java 6 JRE offline install still accesses internet
            Thanks to revealing this behaviour.

In general you should be able to set up a firewall rule to prevent an outgoing connection to a particular IP address.

This particular one seems to be a 2o7.net host (omniture).
            All the more reason to block it if you are paranoid about being tracked.
            • 3. Re: Java 6 JRE offline install still accesses internet
              Thank you for the replies.

Yes, I am trying this on windows machines (2008 server, XP, 2003 server).

1) There is no offline vice online installer for java 6 at java.sun.com. There is one they claim to be offline at java.com; however, it is in fact the same installer and exhibits the same behavior.

2) We have our firewall rules set up to block this attempt already. My problem is that the machines onto which we install are locked down with security restrictions so tight that they can only be described as absurd. In this environment the OS throws a dialog telling the user the attempt is being made regardless of if the firewall blocks it. I seek to insulate the user from this confusing and unnecessary data.

Is it safe to say that the java 6 offline installers are - in fact - not truly offline installers?

brandon-