This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 21, 2010 5:04 AM by 843810 RSS

Older jar file not working

843810 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello

I used to work with a program, called YODA.jar for the design of microarrays. It was working last time I used it (a year ago). I cannot making it work now, the program just doesn't launch anymore. I redownloaded the file, upgraded to the latest java version and still cannot make it work. I used Ubuntu and windows vista. The file association is ok. On vista, the file seems to launch and then seem to be killed by something. I really need this to work, can anyone help me?
  • 1. Re: Older jar file not working
    jschellSomeoneStoleMyAlias Expert
    If you know java then you can figure it out
    1. Open a console window, and run it from there. It might print something that helps
    2. Unjar it or othewise get to the manifest in the jar and determine what the start up looks like (class path and start class). Then open a console window and run it using those. Again it might print something that helps.

Alternatively it came from somewhere. Go to that place and ask them why it doesn't work.
  • 2. Re: Older jar file not working
    843810 Newbie
    Thanks you for your kind answer

Unfortunatly, I dont know a lot about java. Today, I found a computer that can run it (windows 2000 NT). I can continue to work, but not from home. It has 2 version of java on it, 1.5 and 1.6 eu2. i downloaded 1.5 on my laptop (Vista), made the file association and still not working. I have not found how to install java 1.5 on linux yet.

Here is what is in the manifest

Manifest-Version: 1.0

Created-By: 1.4.2_03 (Apple Computer, Inc.)

Main-Class: Runner

Is there a way to debuild the jar file and then rebuild it using the newest java version?

I also tried to ask help from the creator but they are cluless.
  • 3. Re: Older jar file not working
    EJP Guru
    You still haven't told us what error messages &c are produced.
    Is there a way to debuild the jar file and then rebuild it using the newest java version?
    That's not necessary. What is necessary is to find out why it doesn't execute. Most probably you don't have Java installed at all, or correctly.
    I also tried to ask help from the creator but they are cluless.
    Surprising. That being so you should evaluate whether this thing still has any value for you, and if so hire someone who knows what they're talking about.
  • 4. Re: Older jar file not working
    843810 Newbie
    Well thanks you all
    Seem there is no short way out of this
    Guess I'll start learning Java and how to use it correctly!
    I'll post back if I get something new

Thaks you once again for your kind help