3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 18, 2010 11:57 AM by 843810 RSS

    Bad class file

    843810
      This is probably a very basic issue but here it goes: I've been developing a web application in tomcat. Originally we were using the JWSDP 1.3 bundle. I decided to download tomcat 4.1.3 and tried to run the application. I keep getting "bad class errors" and something about tag pool 13 of 10. Any clue as to what is causing the problem? I think it has something to do with the classpath environment variable in windows XP, unfortunately the IT people must have changed my user rights b/c I can no longer edit/change the System variables., I've tried adding a user variable CLASSPATH with the new path to the application, but it still doesnt seem to work.

      Thanks for any help
        • 1. Re: Bad class file
          843810
          database/DeleteBean.java [18:1] cannot access database.DBAccess
          bad class file: C:\TOMCAT\webapps\cecomproj\src\database\DBAccess.class
          bad constant pool tag: 13 at 10

          both files DeleteBean.java and DBaccess.java contain the line:

          package database;

          NetBeans doesn't seem to have any problems compiling other classes (even with dependancies on other packages). Just all the files in my tomcat project.

          Any help would be appreciated.
          • 2. Re: Bad class file
            843810
            ok.... I figured out my problem... nothing to do with Classpaths, more something to do with checking class files out of CVS (I think) once I deleted the class files, everything else compiled fine.
            • 3. Re: Bad class file
              843810
              Because this is the only post Google returns for "netbeans bad constant pool tag", I'd like to add this (even though the post is many years old):
              The original post mentions Windows XP and CVS - so my recent experience may be relevant.
              I moved a bunch of Netbeans projects via Windows onto a Linux server to add them to a CVS repository.
              When I reentered the Projects into Netbeans all hell broke loose : for example: projects compiled clean but the IDE red-flagged them; libraries showed up on the Project Property sheets but were absent in the Libraries tab under the Project in the Projects tree. Netbeans itself appeared to be "in distress".
              I had noticed that many java sources were now double-spaced (a blank line inserted after each original line). I suspected somewhere during the journey from Windows to Linux the old carriage-return + line-feed glitch had happened. But, hey-ho, this doesn't effect the java and could be filtered out later.
              Then the moment of revelation: most of the XML and .properties files had also been double-spaced.
              So code that originally read (for example):

              javac.classpath=\
              foo:\
              bar

              now read:

              javac.classpath=\

              foo:\

              bar

              This (subtle) introduction of the extra lines ruins everything ... but once you realise what's happened, it is easily fixed !