This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Sep 15, 2008 4:34 AM by 843810 RSS

problem accessing sun application server 8.2 in debug mode using eclipse

843810 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I'm trying to debug a web application using Sun Application Server 8.2 using eclipse 3.2 debug tool.
I don't know if the problem is that sun app server is not allowed for debugging with eclipse 3.2 or a technical problem on the server side.
I'm starting the app server using the web admin console, and starts using the default debug port (9009). The server starts properly, and I can access the application normally from the browser, but when I try to debug using eclipse, I get the following error:

*"Failed to connect to remote VM. Connection refused"*

Any help?

Best regards,
Raúl
  • 1. Re: problem accessing sun application server 8.2 in debug mode using eclipse
    843810 Newbie
    Got the same issue.
    Installed Sun Application Server 8.2, enabled debugging in Application Server -> JVM Settings : debug.
    Restarted the application server
    Tried to debug remotely using Eclipse and I get the message : "Failed to conect to remote VM. Connection refused".
    Note that I also tried a connect using "telnet 1044" but connection fails as well.

What's confusing is that debugger in the Application server seems to start fine, here is the log:
    Listening for transport dt_socket at address: 1044
    Application server is listening at address 1044 for debugger to attach using transport dt_socket

But as well a netstat -a | grep 1044 confirms that the socket is listening:
    TCP frwpmdev14:1044 frwpmdev14.orsypgroup.com:0 LISTENING
    UDP frwpmdev14:1044 *:*

So the socket is listening but you can't connect.

I don't have time to troubleshoot further and I simply consider to move to newest version 9.0 of the server hoping that the issue simply goes away.
  • 2. Re: problem accessing sun application server 8.2 in debug mode using eclipse
    843810 Newbie
    Actually the problem was simple, Eclipse was already connected to the remote VM, this prevents it from connecting again in a separate session.