14 Replies Latest reply: Nov 11, 2011 9:20 PM by MinChen RSS

SQL Developer Keep-Alive Extension Created!

MinChen
      Hi All,

I have created a keep-alive extension for SQL Developer as I have always wanted to prevent my connections from timing out. Hope this will become handy to some of you. The download file and instructions are hosted on Google Sites.

https://sites.google.com/site/keepaliveext/

Cheers,
      MinChen
        • 1. Re: SQL Developer Keep-Alive Extension Created!
          DanyC
          Thanks a lot MinChen, is very useful.

Is any chance of being able to change the interval or select between 2/5/10 minutes?

Cheers,
          Dani
          • 2. Re: SQL Developer Keep-Alive Extension Created!
            MinChen
            Hi Dani,

I am currently working on the connection settings now where each connection could have its own timeout interval. Since I am doing it in my free time after my day job, it will probably be done within another day or two. I will post here once I uploaded the new version. In the meantime, let me know if you have any suggestions or improvement on the extension.

Thanks.

MinChen
            • 3. Re: SQL Developer Keep-Alive Extension Created!
              MinChen
              Hi Everyone,

I have uploaded the latest version with the following features.

- Each connection could have its own keep alive interval.
              - Keep alive intervals are saved and retained.
              - On keep alive activation, interval is displayed on the message box.

Cheers,
              MinChen
              • 4. Re: SQL Developer Keep-Alive Extension Created!
                Hi - thanks very much for developing this. I only hope that Oracle can get the functionality sorted in the next version.

Anyway, I have a minor bug report;
                I compiled a package on a connection that I had 'keep alive' activated on, and I got this error in the Extensions log window:
                *(Unknown Source)*
                Error: Extension ID cmc.pinger in extension.xml does not match jar filename oracle.sqldeveloper.keepalive

It's hard to tell if its working or not without doing some fairly long running tests.

Cheers,

Henry
                • 5. Re: SQL Developer Keep-Alive Extension Created!
                  MinChen
                  Hi Henry,

Thanks for informing. Yeah, I am aware of that. Someone e-mailed me regarding this. It is due to name discrepancy between the jar and the configuration XML. However, the extension still works as expected. Nevertheless, I have updated the jar with the correct name in the configuration XML and you may choose to update it if you want to prevent that error message from coming out. Please let me know if you find any other bugs. Thanks!

MinChen
                  • 6. Re: SQL Developer Keep-Alive Extension Created!
                    Hi MinChen,

I was hoping not to need to use your extension once SQL Developer 3.0 came out, but now it's here I can see that those of us who have need for a keep alive feature have been left out in the cold once again.

So, thanks again to you for your excellent work.

Anyway, I was wondering if your extension could be extended to manage cleanly disconnecting a connection that has been dropped? This can happen even when using the keep alive extension, and SQL developer doesn't handle it well.

Cheers,

Henry
                    • 7. Re: SQL Developer Keep-Alive Extension Created!
                      DanyC
                      Thanks a lot MinChen for your great work. Hopefully somebody from Oracle will decide to incorporate your great extension.

Thanks,
                      Dani
                      • 8. Re: SQL Developer Keep-Alive Extension Created!
                        MinChen
                        Hi Henry,

Interesting idea. Let me see if I could grab a couple of hours to fiddle with it.

MinChen
                        • 9. Re: SQL Developer Keep-Alive Extension Created!
                          willjamu
                          Nifty

I just installed it on my work from home computer.

I am VPNed and will see how it goes tonight.
                          • 10. Re: SQL Developer Keep-Alive Extension Created!
                            willjamu
                            My home machine is 64-bit and it seemed to lock-up until I removed it.

I will try on my 32-bit work issue machine next.
                            • 11. Re: SQL Developer Keep-Alive Extension Created!
                              MinChen
                              Hi willjamu,

Thanks for the heads up. I never ran it on a 64-bit machine but technically it should still work. Please let us know your findings.

Thanks.

MinChen
                              • 12. Re: SQL Developer Keep-Alive Extension Created!
                                MinChen
                                Hi All,

I would like to ask if anyone is using the extension on MacOSX. I got an e-mail saying that nothing happens when the menu items are clicked. I am not entirely sure as I don't own a Mac so appreciate it if anyone can confirm.

Thanks a bunch!

Cheers,

MinChen
                                • 13. Re: SQL Developer Keep-Alive Extension Created!
                                  Regarding OS/X: Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't work, it responds as you indicate: No message is displayed. I sometimes repeat my attempts, trying other options on the context menu and eventually I can get it to work. Sometimes it works first time out.

I tried to establish a clear pattern, but have not yet been able to do so.
                                  • 14. Re: SQL Developer Keep-Alive Extension Created!
                                    MinChen
                                    Hi Everyone,

Lately I have been getting questions on whether the extension is secure enough to be used as more often than not, a database would definitely contain confidential or sensitive information hence it is absolutely crucial that security is maintained and running external extensions does not seem reassuring. Here, I would like to write a bit on how to ensure that security is maintained when running third party extensions for SQL Developer.

The most secure approach is to scrutinize the source code of the extensions themselves if it is made available at all. If no source code is available, then it would take a different approach which is far more complex and won't to be covered here. Fortunately, extensions for SQL Developer are developed using Java and the beauty of it is that one could easily decompile the classes back into the source code. From there onwards, scrutinize the code thoroughly to ensure there is no rogue logic or any function that would "phone home" for whatever reason other than to check for updates. By practicing self code scrutiny, it would be the most reassuring. As I myself am every bit concerned about security, I do tend to extract out the source code of all the Firefox extensions I use and do a quick glance. ;)

With this, I hope more people will embrace the extensibility of SQL Developer and create more extensions for the community. SQL Developer is a great application and thanks to the team who created it and made it available at zero charge. :D

Cheers,
                                    Min Chen

P.S. You can decompile Java classes using the free tool called JD-Gui which can be found at
                                    [http://java.decompiler.free.fr/?q=jdgui]