6 Replies Latest reply: Feb 17, 2004 8:14 PM by 172925 RSS

How to conceal HTML DB app source code?

I wonder ISV can build Package software on HTML DB without showing their source code.

Is it possible conceal source code for HTML DB Based application? If so, ISV can build various application on the HTML DB.

Thanks.
      Hideki Sakamoto
        • 1. Re: How to conceal HTML DB app source code?
          Hideki,

Please explain what you mean by "conceal source code".

Thanks,
          Scott
          • 2. Re: How to conceal HTML DB app source code?
            Scott,
            I saw sample application in HTML DB and I could see
            source code of this sample application.
            On the other hand, Excel Macro file has password protection feature to conceal source code of application.

I thought if HTML DB does not have this source code protection feature, it may has trouble to be business application platform.

Thanks.
            Hideki Sakamoto
            • 3. Re: How to conceal HTML DB app source code?
              Hideki,

Oracle HTML DB allows administrators to restrict access to application source elements to authorized developers only. Specifically, if you don't have a developer account in a workspace, you can't see the components of an HTML DB application belonging to that workspace. Further, developers in one workspace cannot see anything about applications in another workspace. And when a user runs an HTML DB application, the underlying code that is executed is not visible to the user. The partitioning of the HTML DB hosted site into multiple workspaces allows complete isolation of groups of users from one another and gives adequate security to each group of users.

Regards,

Scott
              • 4. Re: How to conceal HTML DB app source code?
                Thanks, Scott.

I see what Oracle HTML DB can do.

I had a scenario that e.g. SAP adopt HTML DB for their application develop platform. They may want to hide their own source code to any administrator to keep their intellectual properties.

I'll make another scenario to make sample programs.

Regards.
                Hideki Sakamoto
                • 5. Re: How to conceal HTML DB app source code?
                  Hideki,

I understand this more now. It may be useful to note that the application schemas associated with a workspace are accessible only to those who have been granted access privileges (including DBAs, of course) within the database.

So the HTML DB admin for the hosted site does not have access to the application schemas of each workspace, including the objects and source code therein.

Regards,

Scott
                  • 6. Re: How to conceal HTML DB app source code?
                    Scott,
                    I appreciate your kind follow-up.
                    Thanks.