14 Replies Latest reply: Oct 6, 2010 6:07 AM by 803092 RSS

Which framework(s)/tool(s) for a web 2.0 application ?

Hello,

I'm new to Java, so excuse my stupid questions...

I have to port a win32 GUI application to a web application using Java. The original application is not written with Java and is a full blown multitier win32 GUI application accessing a SQL server database.

There are some requirement for the new application:
      1) has to use opensource tools and frameworks
      2) has to use JBoss application server
      3) has to use eclipse for development
      4) have a user interface as close as possible to the win32 application
      5) has to use the same (mssql) database

The question is: which frameworks/tools is best to use in that environment ? JSP, JSF, RichFaces, Spring, Seam, Hibernate, Struts to name a few...

Regards,
      --
      F. Piette
        • 1. Re: Which framework(s)/tool(s) for a web 2.0 application ?
          gimbal2
          I would look into Google Web toolkit (GWT) if I were you, given your GUI demands. Just don't think you can port a client side GUI to a web gui and have all the same functionality / look & feel; I'd first get a basic feel for what a web environment really is before you start to say yes to requirements that may well cause you to go into excessive failure hours.
          • 2. Re: Which framework(s)/tool(s) for a web 2.0 application ?
            Hello Gimbal2,

Thanks for your suggestion. As far as I can see, GWT makes application to run on Google servers. This doesn't fulfill the requirement of using JBoss application server.

FYI, I'm an experienced web application developer, but not using Java. I know what can be done as UI for a web application. That is not my problem.

My problem is to select the best framework(s) and tool(s) to develop the application, given the requirement I listed (Eclipse/JBoss/MSSQL/OpenSource). Unfortunately there are so much of them available that it is difficult to select the best one (Well things are relative of course). I don't want to use old technology, nor technology no yet wide spread on the market. I want a technology that many companies are using and for which I can easily find developer on the market.

Regards.
            • 3. Re: Which framework(s)/tool(s) for a web 2.0 application ?
              Kayaman
              800089 wrote:
              Hello Gimbal2,

As far as I can see, GWT makes application to run on Google servers.
              Then you should clean your glasses.
              My problem is to select the best framework(s) and tool(s) to develop the application, given the requirement I listed (Eclipse/JBoss/MSSQL/OpenSource). Unfortunately there are so much of them available that it is difficult to select the best one (Well things are relative of course). I don't want to use old technology, nor technology no yet wide spread on the market. I want a technology that many companies are using and for which I can easily find developer on the market.
              You want the best framework do you? Doesn't everyone these days.

I'd say...go for JSF. Or if you don't want to, go for spring, or if that doesn't suit you, go for the GWT mentioned earlier. Unless you want to be retro, then go for Struts.
              Then when you've chosen your framework, see how many developers are willing to use it, if not enough choose another framework.
              • 4. Re: Which framework(s)/tool(s) for a web 2.0 application ?
                I'd say...go for JSF. Or if you don't want to, go for spring, or if that doesn't suit you, go for the GWT mentioned earlier. Unless you want to be retro, then go for Struts.
                Do you have personal experience with one or several of them ?
                If you have, then what is your feedback ?

JSF is on top of your list. I've read that Seam is the best way to leverage JSF. What do you think about Seam ?
                • 5. Re: Which framework(s)/tool(s) for a web 2.0 application ?
                  Kayaman
                  800089 wrote:
                  Do you have personal experience with one or several of them ?
                  Yes. With some more and with some less.
                  If you have, then what is your feedback ?
                  My feedback is that you'll never get a "correct" answer for a question like that. That's like asking which is the best programming language for something. You can't get a single answer for that.
                  JSF is on top of your list. I've read that Seam is the best way to leverage JSF. What do you think about Seam ?
                  I put JSF "at the top", because it's a Sun standard, not because I have a preference for it or because it would be the best.

As for Seam, yes it does attempt to work around some JSF problems. Also brings its own problems.
                  • 6. Re: Which framework(s)/tool(s) for a web 2.0 application ?
                    aksarben
                    Wicket is another possibility many developers/companies like.
                    • 7. Re: Which framework(s)/tool(s) for a web 2.0 application ?
                      Wicket is another possibility many developers/companies like.
                      Do you have an experience yourself with Wicket ? If yes, can you tell me what you really like and dislike in that product ?

Thanks.
                      • 8. Re: Which framework(s)/tool(s) for a web 2.0 application ?
                        Kayaman
                        Go for Vaadin (vaadin.com) it's the best!

You'll never get your application ported if you keep this thread up. Maybe you should hire a consultant to decide a framework/works for you?
                        • 9. Re: Which framework(s)/tool(s) for a web 2.0 application ?
                          Why do you think it is the best ?
                          Can you tell me which experience you have ?
                          Maybe you should hire a consultant to decide a framework/works for you?
                          Hiring a consultant is not such a good idea. I will only get the framework used by that consultant. Posting a message in a forum, I have a chance to get feedback, real feedback, from several developers. OK, there are frequently useless answers (you know what I mean), but sometimes you get very valuable answers. I'm just waiting for those answers.

--
                          F. Piette
                          • 10. Re: Which framework(s)/tool(s) for a web 2.0 application ?
                            Kayaman
                            800089 wrote:
                            Why do you think it is the best ?
                            Can you tell me which experience you have ?
                            None about Vaadin, but it seems to have gained some popularity recently (then again, it's not a very old product). Also it's a Finnish product so I'm required to mention it by law.
                            Posting a message in a forum, I have a chance to get feedback, real feedback, from several developers. sometimes you get very valuable answers. I'm just waiting for those answers.
                            Then you'll be waiting for a long time.
                            • 11. Re: Which framework(s)/tool(s) for a web 2.0 application ?
                              r035198x
                              gimbal2 wrote:
                              I would look into Google Web toolkit (GWT) if I were you, given your GUI demands. Just don't think you can port a client side GUI to a web gui and have all the same functionality / look & feel; I'd first get a basic feel for what a web environment really is before you start to say yes to requirements that may well cause you to go into excessive failure hours.
                              GWT would be my choice too for a swing like client.
                              • 12. Re: Which framework(s)/tool(s) for a web 2.0 application ?
                                What is your personal experience with GWT ?
                                Have you some success to share ?

--
                                F. Piette
                                • 13. Re: Which framework(s)/tool(s) for a web 2.0 application ?
                                  r035198x
                                  800089 wrote:
                                  Have you some success to share ?

--
                                  F. Piette
                                  Two projects successfully implemented but I don't see the relevance of that since I've implemented successfully with other frameworks as well. What is relevant is that in GWT you develop the interface using Java swing like syntax so the correspondence is more intuitive. Of course a lot more factors than that should be used in picking the solution.
                                  • 14. Re: Which framework(s)/tool(s) for a web 2.0 application ?
                                    Two projects successfully implemented but I don't see the relevance of that since I've implemented successfully with other frameworks as well.
                                    What are the pros and cons for the frameworks you have used so far ?
                                    What makes you select one framework or another ?
                                    What is relevant is that in GWT you develop the interface using Java swing like syntax so the correspondence is more intuitive. Of course a lot more factors than that should be used in picking the solution.
                                    One factor for me would be the fact that is is easy or less easy to create a new custom GUI component.

--
                                    F. Piette