This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Oct 14, 2010 1:12 PM by TechMahi.com RSS

How to connect to internet using wireless modem in Oracle Linux

TechMahi.com Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi all,

I am new to Linux. First of all I am not sure whether Oracle Linux can be used as a full fledged Linux OS (means basic things like connecting net/develop java related applications. .etc.). I installed latest release i.e. 5.5. of Oracle Linux and when I tried to follow the method mentioned in page ->http://thejeshgn.com/2008/01/12/reliance-netconnect-usb-card-on-linux-howto/ to connect internet, I got error message stating unknown command for modprobe. I was trying this as root. Like this few more commands are not recognised. Can some one tell me is this Oracle Linux is a real Lunux operating system? Or just a prototype of OS?

Well my actual problem is inspite of several attempt made to connect internet by tweeking /etc/wvdial.conf, I have no result. Can some one tell me exact steps to be followed to connect to Rel Netconnect in Oracle Linux. Or its not possible?
Please help me.

Thank you.
Mahi.

Edited by: TechMahi.com on Oct 6, 2010 3:00 AM
  • 1. Re: How to connect to internet using wireless modem in Oracle Linux
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE
    TechMahi.com wrote:

Can some one tell me is this Oracle Linux is a real Lunux operating system? Or just a prototype of OS?
    There are many different Linux distros (distrubutions). Some specifically for Netbooks. Some specifically for Desktops. Some specifically for the Server Environment and Clustering.

OEL is a server distro. Contains cluster support and so on.

What makes you think it should pretend to be a notebook/laptop distro and support your wireless modem? Where did it state in the download page and download and installation notes that it supports notebooks/laptops?
  • 2. Re: How to connect to internet using wireless modem in Oracle Linux
    TechMahi.com Newbie
    Billy ¨
    What makes you think it should pretend to be a notebook/laptop distro and support your wireless modem? ¨

Me > Thanks for taking time to clarify.
    After spent some time on net I observed that modprobe is a basic one available in any Linux. Here in Oracle Linux is also there but, I have to use full path.
    Now the problem is when I issue below command,

dmesg is showing 19d2:fff1. I am pretty sure about the values.

# /sbin/modprobe usbserial vendor=0x19d2 product=0xfff1

Error is shown as below.
    FATAL: Error inserting usbserial (/lib/modules/2.6.18-194.el5/kernel/drivers/usb/serial/usbserial.ko): Invalid module format

Can any one help me to connect ?

Oracle Linux Kernal version is 2.6.18. I heard recent kernal version is some where 2.6.30.
    Oracle Linux version is 5.5 available in edelivery.oracle.com/linux

Regards.
  • 3. Re: How to connect to internet using wireless modem in Oracle Linux
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE
    TechMahi.com wrote:

After spent some time on net I observed that modprobe is a basic one available in any Linux. Here in Oracle Linux is also there but, I have to use full path.
    Are you using root ?

The default $PATH for root includes "+/sbin+" (see +/etc/profile+ for details) - if it does not on your system, then something is either broke or your profile and/or o/s user incorrect.
    # /sbin/modprobe usbserial vendor=0x19d2 product=0xfff1

Error is shown as below.
    FATAL: Error inserting usbserial (/lib/modules/2.6.18-194.el5/kernel/drivers/usb/serial/usbserial.ko): Invalid module format
    This usually means that the kernel module you're attempting to load and insert into the kernel, does not match the exact version of the loaded kernel.
  • 4. Re: How to connect to internet using wireless modem in Oracle Linux
    Dude! Guru
    The link in your post is for Ubuntu Linux. Installation instructions for Ubuntu do usually not apply to Linux Enterprise, which also uses different software management.

Did you check: http://www.reliancenetconnect.co.in/ecare_downloads.html
    They are offering support and drivers for Fedora Linux, which should work also in OEL.

In general, when searching for software for OEL, search for CentOS, Red Hat Enterprise RHEL and Fedora, which are binary compatible, but not SUSE Linux, Ubuntu or other Debian based Linux distributions.

You can upgrade OEL 5.5 to kernel 2.6.32.

- follow instructions at http://public-yum.oracle.com/
    - enable OL 5.5 in the repository file
    - yum install kernel

To setup wireless on OEL, you may find the info here:
    Configure Wireless in OEL 5 Howto

Additional desktop drivers and software, check the Fedora EPEL repository with yum:
    rpm -Uvh http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/epel/5/i386/epel-release-5-4.noarch.rpm

Edited by: waldorfm on Oct 8, 2010 2:38 AM
  • 5. Re: How to connect to internet using wireless modem in Oracle Linux
    TechMahi.com Newbie
    To Billy -> Thanks for reminding me about /etc/profile.
    Even after several hours spent on it, I am coming to there to make my drivers sync with OS. Thanks for that.
  • 6. Re: How to connect to internet using wireless modem in Oracle Linux
    TechMahi.com Newbie
    Hi waldorfm, Thanks for details.

I have downloaded and executed them. My main concern is as my modem also has storage space its entry in /dev is showing always like sgZTEMT, instead of ttyUSB0. wvdial is expecting only ttyUSB0. So no luck.

Thank you.
    Mahi
  • 7. Re: How to connect to internet using wireless modem in Oracle Linux
    TechMahi.com Newbie
    After so many trial and errors here are my findings.
    (1) If I connect to internet using modem in MS Windows and then restart from windows and while restarting, if I select Oracle Linux, then i was getting ttyUSB0, thus I was able to connect. If I shutdown from Oracle Linux and restart, my modem was recognized with /dev/sgZTEMT. Strange but it was true.
    (2) I installed usb_modeswitch and libusb (I really dont know whether this libusb is of any help to me) and then tried with command # /usr/sbin/usb_modeswitch -W -c /etc/usb_modeswitch.d/19d2:fff6 to switch my USB mode from storage (0xfff6) to usbserial (0xfff1). It worked.
    (3) Then used wvdial cdma to connect.
    Its connected. Now I can upgrade my linux version.
    Regards,
    Mahi.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points