5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 4, 2005 1:45 PM by 796365 RSS

Netbeans IDE 4.0 Beta 2 (Mac OS X) - Javadoc & Code Completion help

Relatively new to Java, just seeking some help getting Netbeans IDE 4.0 Beta 2 configured properly.

As I am still leaning the ins and outs of Java, being able to use the onscreen Javadoc info that pops-up with the code completion tool would be extremely useful. However, I can't seen to get this working.

When ever the code completion appears it says, "Javadoc not found. Either Javadoc documentation for this item does not exist or you have not added sources or Javadoc to the Java Platform Manager or the Java Library Manager."

Down the left hand side of the Java Platform Manager, there is a folder labled "J2SE" that has an item called "Default Platform". The platform folder is listed as "/Library/Java/Home". I've added all the subfolders (AntModuleAPI through to XML-APIs) from what was extracted from the Javadoc download for Netbeans IDE 4.0 Beta 2 (Mac OS X). All of these are listed under the 'Library Javadoc;' as being located in "/Users/James/Javadoc/".

Down the left hand side of the Java Library Manager, there is a folder labled "Class Libraries". In it there are several items, "absolutelayout", "JSP API 2.0", "jstl11", "JUnit", "Servlet API 2.4" & "sevlet23". All these items have their own Javadoc tab. The "absolutelayout" item had nothing listed in its Javadoc, so I added all the subfolders (AntModuleAPI through to XML-APIs) from what was extracted from the Javadoc download for Netbeans IDE 4.0 Beta 2 (Mac OS X). Just looking at the 'Library Javadoc' in the library manager, they are listed differently from that in the Java Platform Manager. They're listed as "file:/Users/James/Java/Javadoc/AntModuleAPI/" etc. In addition to these subfolders, there were a number of Zip files with the same name as the subfolders, all of which had the same contents as their namesake's subfolder. Should I have added the Zip files to the Library Manager instead of the folders?

In the "JSP API 2.0" item in the Library Manager, the Library Javadoc in its Javadoc tab already had a listing of "jar:nbinst:///docs/jsp20-docs.zip!/". I haven't touched that or added anything else in.

In the "jstl11" item in the Library Manager, the Library Javadoc in its Javadoc tab already had two listings of "jar:nbfs:///SystemFileSystem/TagLibraries/JSTL11/standard.jar!/" and "jar:nbfs:///SystemFileSystem/TagLibraries/JSTL11/jstl1.jar!/". I haven't touches those or added anything else in.

In the "JUnit" item in the Library Manager, the Library Javadoc in its Javadoc tab already had a listing of "jar:nbinst:///docs/junit-3.8.1-api.zip!/". I haven't touched that or added anything else in.

In the "Servlet API 2.4" item in the Library Manager, the Library Javadoc in its Javadoc tab already has a listing of "jar:nbinst:///docs/servlet24-docs.zip!/". I haven't touched that or added anything else in.

Finally, in the "servlet23" item in the Library Manager, the Library Javadoc in its Java tab is completely empty. Should anything be added to this?

That's a long post for such a small question. But any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
        • 1. Re: Netbeans IDE 4.0 Beta 2 (Mac OS X) - Javadoc & Code Completion help
          I don't use NetBeans myself but a quick search on Google "NetBeans Mac Os X" turned up this...

http://www.netbeans.org/kb/articles/mac.html

If you purchased the Panther OS (10.3) on CD in the box, you could check out Xcode. It's on the Developer Tools disk that comes with the Panther distribution in box.
          • 2. Re: Netbeans IDE 4.0 Beta 2 (Mac OS X) - Javadoc & Code Completion help
            This is for XP, but it should be very similar to OSX.

First, do you have the SDK Javadoc documentation installed? If not, go to the Sun download page for the Java version you have; down the page you'll see the documentation download, about 33 mb. Read the Installation Instructions, and download and install.

In NB, do the following ( this information is from the NB package help):

Adding the JDK Javadoc to the IDE

1. Choose Tools > Java Platform Manager from the main window.
            2. Select the platform to which you want to add Javadoc in the left panel of the dialog box. [You want to choose the Default Platform]
            3. In the Javadoc tab, click Add ZIP/Folder and specify the location of the Javadoc files.[You want the documentation API folder - in my machine, it's at C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0\docs\api]
            4. Click Close.
            • 3. Re: Netbeans IDE 4.0 Beta 2 (Mac OS X) - Javadoc & Code Completion help
              I have the same problems as JavaBlue with exxentially the same setup up except I'm using the NetBeans 4.0 final Mac install.

When I get to the window that is presented at Tools-Java Platform Manager-Javadoc and click the Add Zip/folder button nothing happens. I'm expecting a file browse box to select the Javadoc folder or at least a place to key in the path.

Nada.

Any help would be appreciated.

kestrel
              • 4. Re: Netbeans IDE 4.0 Beta 2 (Mac OS X) - Javadoc & Code Completion help
                I have pretty much the same problem. I use netbeans extensively on both the pc and the mac. Currently since instally 4.0 final, I don't get autocomplete for any of the standard java libraries. Its fine and works for libraries I've added (e.g. Jena, java 3d ...). I downloaded the javadoc documentation and set that up in my platform classpath, but I think I need the "src.jar" file to be added to... Does netbeans only work this way if you have the sources installed? Where can I get hold of this? I have the 1.3.1 jdk source file on my mac but not 1.4.2..

Also I'm afraid that pointing netbeans to the sources for autocomplete is going to cause it to gobble up yet more memory.. Please, I beg netbeans developers, cut down on the memory gobbling guys. Its insane. It eats my entire laptop, which is a shame because its the only thing stopping it being the best IDE.
                • 5. Re: Netbeans IDE 4.0 Beta 2 (Mac OS X) - Javadoc & Code Completion help
                  I don't get autocomplete for any of the standard java libraries.
                  but I think I need the "src.jar" file to be added to...
                  For all of this to work as designed, you need both the source.zip and the Javadocs.

The IDE Help has very good documentation on this, please consult it.

As far as the memory, if you want these features -code completion and Javadoc/API availability - then the price has to be be paid. I seriously doubt that the developers coded so as to use the max memory. :)