This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Oct 27, 2008 6:06 PM by jschellSomeoneStoleMyAlias RSS

Virtual Machine and multicore system

843829 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello
I have build application for web deploy under tomcat linux os 4 core machine and 8 GB RAM 64 bit.I have configure 6 GB RAM for Tomcat by providing virtual machine argument in catlina.sh . i looked the usage of processor and see that only one processor is active which run's tomcat and other three processor are idle .This is obvious because one process should be use one processor.I need to ask that is any way available through that web application automatically utilize other three process with this shared RAM ..
--
Regards
Haroon Idrees
Sr.Software Engineer
Etilize Pakistan
Add to haroonob's Reputation
  • 1. Re: Virtual Machine and multicore system
    416044 Newbie
    Nope. The next big step in compilers and virtual machines is exactly what you would like to have now: transparent usage of multiple cores/cpus for an application without explicitaly writing your app with multiple threads. If you app is just 1 servlet with just 1 thread - how should it be distributed among multiple cpus?
  • 2. Re: Virtual Machine and multicore system
    jschellSomeoneStoleMyAlias Expert
    haroonob wrote:
    Hello
    I have build application for web deploy under tomcat linux os 4 core machine and 8 GB RAM 64 bit.I have configure 6 GB RAM for Tomcat by providing virtual machine argument in catlina.sh . i looked the usage of processor and see that only one processor is active which run's tomcat and other three processor are idle .This is obvious because one process should be use one processor.I need to ask that is any way available through that web application automatically utilize other three process with this shared RAM ..
    As a though in linux you can set it up so an application can only run on one cpu. Perhaps you or someone else did that.

Exactly how much load are you seeing on the one cpu - 1%, 90%, what?

How exactly did you look a the load (what tool)?

How did you load the cpu to get it to do any work?