This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 25, 2009 3:05 PM by jduprez RSS

Help with scheduling algorithm

843853 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello!

I'm in a project where we need to automaticly create a matchmaking schedule.
The schedule is used to match companies to other companies and make new buinessrelations.

We have fixed companies that has a unique room and we have flexible companies that moves around
to the different fixed companies.
The fixed companies can either choose to start at the standard time or can start later if, for example, the fixed company is delayed for some reason. Also if a fixed company should have denied to meet a specific flexible company, they should not have a sheduled meeting.

The algorithm should create a optimal schedule from these companies where the flexible companies meetings should be as close as possible so the delay between meetings is minimal.

I have some ideas but I would like to hear some of your advise on these, or maybe help me to design the algorithm?
  • 1. Re: Help with scheduling algorithm
    jduprez Pro
    Your "business relationship" as an excuse won't fool us. But your adult service is a variation of matchmaking problems :o)

Indeed in the previous sentence the word match-making was not meant to be ironic; that's how I've seen this kind of problems classified, but I can't seem to find a reference for such classification. One example of such algorithm is [Ford-Fulkerson|http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Fulkerson]. It implies you are able to assign weights to edges between two nodes (e.g., assign infinity when a company blacklists another one, and between fixed-schedule companies that cannot meet each-other).
  • 2. Re: Help with scheduling algorithm
    843853 Newbie
    Hehe I know it can seem that the word "match-making" could be classified as an adult dateservice but its really is a
    method for making companies to meet new companies, but its is organized precisly as a common speeddate service.

Can you tell me a little more about the Ford-Fulkerson and how it can be implemented? :o)
  • 3. Re: Help with scheduling algorithm
    843853 Newbie
    I'll probally solved it by using a prioritytable that is generated by how many times a moving company is
    in a fixed company.

After the prioritytable is set, de scheduletable is set by go though the prioritytable and se what value
    is fit for what place.

Kind of hard to explain without a picture.

But thanks for the reply but weighted nodes got somewhat complicated in the code, maybe a good solution
    but I don't have any experience in that area.
  • 4. Re: Help with scheduling algorithm
    jduprez Pro
    it really is a method for making companies to meet new companies
    I take your word for it, I was just densely kidding.
    how many times a moving company is in a fixed company.
    You're sure this is not disguised language for an adult service, again?!? :ob
    Can you tell me a little more about the Ford-Fulkerson and how it can be implemented? :o)
    I provided a link in my first reply. But maybe it's overkill; I'm glad you solve it otherwise. I hope your suggested solution will get reviewed by more educated algorithmics fans here.
    Good luck with your "business service".

J.