This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Jun 30, 2010 4:05 PM by 843853 RSS

[PROJECT] Java MMORPG Development

843853 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I've been a Java programmer hobbyist for quite a while, and have written several small games, and after a little thought, I realised that small games had lost their appeal and I wanted to shoot for the stars!

So... I've come up with the great idea of creating an MMORPG in the Java programming language! It's already been started, although progress will speed up when more people have joined the team.

Project Details

Game Name: Days of Destiny

Concept: A 2D MMORPG. The outer world (eg. travelling, chatting, etc) will be a bit like the world in Pokemon (tiles, 1 step per tile, yada yada ya) while things like combat will be more arcade-themed (fast paced, skill-dependent combat - although weapons/armour will obviously still play a part. maybe a bit like Street Fighter or Super Smash Bros Brawl?)

Setting: In a post-apocalyptic world, but with super-advanced technology instead of being blasted back into the stone age by the apocalypse, so kind of like a super-modern setting? (and as for how there's technology after an apocalypse: maybe some awesome techno-center was saved from the blast or something like that?)

Storyline: Haven't started thinking about this yet. But I'm sure it won't be too hard to come up with something awesome.

Programming Language: Java (duh!)

Dependencies:
Client-side: Slick/LWJGL (http://slick.cokeandcode.com/ / http://www.lwjgl.org/), TWL for the GUI (http://twl.l33tlabs.org/), TilED for world (http://www.mapeditor.org/)
Server-side: MySQL for database storage (http://www.mysql.com/)
Networking: Not sure yet, possibly Apache MINA or just java NIO's Sockets

So... basically I'm here to ask if any of you are interested in joining this project?

Requirements:

Programming Skill: Basically, good Java knowledge/experience, and preferably some experience with Slick, although not necessary, since Slick is a pretty easy to learn library.

Time Requirements: If you're interested, please only ask to join if you have at least an average of 30 minutes a day to work on this; preferably, 1 hour a day free. I'm going to fork out at least 1-2 hours a day myself.

On a side note, I'm also looking for GUI/graphic designers, please drop me a note as well, if you're one and interested.

If you're interested and have questions, or wish to join this project, please send an email to xquasar_@hotmail.com

Thanks,
Mic
  • 1. Re: [PROJECT] Java MMORPG Development
    gimbal2 Guru
    xQuasar wrote:
    Storyline: Haven't started thinking about this yet. But I'm sure it won't be too hard to come up with something awesome.
    Actually, it is the hardest thing that will have to be done. Seen all recent RPG games? Usually it is something rehashed and boring including a "chosen one" or the word "prophecy". All big fat failures IMO. If you want something awesome, it is going to take a very experienced writer.

Anyway, you'll have more chance creating a java.net project or on sourceforge - this is a forum for answering technical questions, not for recruiting people.
  • 2. Re: [PROJECT] Java MMORPG Development
    jwenting Journeyer
    in fact the very best rpgs have no fixed storyline at all, are completely open ended, but have a massive (and I mean massive) background in lore and data for players to derive their own destiny from, the world reacting to player actions and changing as a result (helped along by event teams and game masters as needed to prevent things getting out of hand).

That takes years to create if you have no experience.
  • 3. Re: [PROJECT] Java MMORPG Development
    843853 Newbie
    We can always give it a shot, right? There are quite a few MMOs out there that were created by non-professionals :)
  • 4. Re: [PROJECT] Java MMORPG Development
    gimbal2 Guru
    xQuasar wrote:
    We can always give it a shot, right? There are quite a few MMOs out there that were created by non-professionals :)
    And there are an order of a magnitude more that don't get anywhere because the developers are overconfident and don't want to face facts. Building an MMO takes either:

- years of dedication. Most people don't have the strength.

OR

- a huge pile of money AND years of dedication. A huge pile of money is a good motivator.

I would advise you NOT to give it a shot as you'll be one of thousands doing exactly the same thing. I would rather beg you to spend more time trying to think of something a little more original and something that is actually within the reach of us mere mortals with jobs, mortgages and mouths to feed.
  • 5. Re: [PROJECT] Java MMORPG Development
    796262 Newbie
    xQuasar wrote:
    So... I've come up with the great idea of creating an MMORPG in the Java programming language! It's already been started, although progress will speed up when more people have joined the team.
    Are you going to call it runescape?

Seriously though, I echo what the others have already said: start small. If you're sick of the "several small games" you've done, then add to them. Or create another small game, and add to it. Or become involved in an open source project. It's really easy to think of tons of awesome things to do with programming; it's quite another to actually do them. Start small and work your way up.
  • 6. Re: [PROJECT] Java MMORPG Development
    843853 Newbie
    I would advise you to first try just making an online game -- like an online RTS. If you haven't made any online games, you will 100% fail at making an MMO.

I would say the right steps towards making an MMO if that is your end goal:

1. Make a lot of games (you've already done this)
    2. Make a two-player online game (like connect4 online)
    3. Make a multi-player online game (like an RTS or FPS)
    4. Partner up with other experienced game developers (preferably at least one who has made a working MMO) and give it a go