1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply: Nov 17, 2009 1:01 AM by jwenting Go to original post RSS
      • 15. Re: Game server: Map managing questions
        By the way, Hashtable is thread safe and HashMap is not... This can make difference in server programming..
        • 16. Re: Game server: Map managing questions
          patriot87 wrote:
          By the way, Hashtable is thread safe and HashMap is not... This can make difference in server programming..
          Map<String, Integer> syncMap = Collections.synchronizedMap(new HashMap<String, Integer>());
          • 17. Re: Game server: Map managing questions
            endasil wrote:
            patriot87 wrote:
            Map<String, Integer> syncMap = Collections.synchronizedMap(new HashMap<String, Integer>());
            Thanks.
            • 18. Re: Game server: Map managing questions
              jwenting
              patriot87 wrote:
              Combine with doing all calculations serverside rather than clientside and you're well on your way to a secure system.
              What you think about my idia...
              I have path calculation on client side, but I think to implement time to time validation of client position on server(cuz of speedhacks), so basicly what I'm goign to do is define max player steps in X time, and verify if player did more of that, then probably he is cheating. The reason why don't I want to work with distance, cuz cheater can walk in some small radius, so I won't detect if person is cheating or no... Drops, NPC spawn and some operations that can be done by simple packet sending and hard to detect if it's cheating or no, are going to be server sided..
              If you aren't going to detect cheating, you're setting yourself up for major trouble.
              For example you're not going to be able to tell if someone walks through solid objects like walls or closed doors.
              1 2 Previous Next