This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 22, 2004 5:40 AM by 807582 RSS

webcam moyion capture

807582 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
HI , i was wondering if anybody could help me. I want to compare a image of a face from a webcam to another image of a face. They only have to be still images. The images only have to match at about 70% of each other. I know that i will use the pixelGrabber method. How do i go about implementing this problem?

Many thanks
Joe.
  • 1. Re: webcam moyion capture
    807582 Newbie
    It's pretty simple, really

System.captureWebCam().compareToPreviousPicture(pic, .7)
  • 2. Re: webcam moyion capture
    807582 Newbie

Start off here... I posted code to capture images from a Web cam using JMF
    http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jsp?forum=28&thread=452747

( Download latest JMF 2.1.1e ( Windows/Linux performance version, and carefully read the install guide )

That'll get you the web cam capture bit.
    Comparing photos ?
    Here's another thread I replied to on that subject...

http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=480410

all the answers are out there if you search !

regards,
    Owen
  • 3. Re: webcam moyion capture
    807582 Newbie
    That pretty cool Owen. I'm very impressed!

As far as comparing pictures/images, you could do a pixel by pixel comparison, but it's not going to do very well.

Suppose, for example, that picture 2 is one pixel off to the left or right. The two pictures are the same, but doing a pixel by pixel comparison might rank them as very different.

I would guess You need some sort of AI that does pattern matching
  • 4. Re: webcam moyion capture
    807582 Newbie
    Thanks very much all
    Very helpfu
  • 5. Re: webcam moyion capture
    807582 Newbie

No problem.
    Not that it affected my reply, but going by the e-mail address in your profile, I assume you're in Ireland too?

Ps. if you're using the web cam capture code I posted, there's a bug when switching video resolution.
    You have to request the visual component again, remove the old one, and add it back to the container.
    ( cos it may have been invalidated during the video resolution / format switch. )

cheers,
    Owen
  • 6. Re: webcam moyion capture
    807582 Newbie
    Thanks Owen,

Yeah i was trying to fix that. But onby minor. The code is very helpfull and gives a much clearer indication of what i want to do and new ideas.

Im in Dublin, trying to work hard on this project. Coming together now, next part is the image comparision, which i saw your thread already. Havnt got it working properly yet.
    As you probably already know, Sun are coming to Dublin on the 20th of Feb for a developers conference. Its free, all you have to do is register online. Limited places and its in the Davenport Hotel.

Joe