This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Apr 27, 2007 3:34 PM by 807596 RSS

Loss of keyboard focus in Java appl running under linux

807596 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I have a small sample program that replicates my problem. When this program is run a window is created. If you select File->New another instance of the program window is created. Now if you try to go back and bring to front the first window, keyboard focus is not
transferred when run under linux. You can only type in the second window. The expected behavior does happen in Windows.
> uname -a
Linux watson 2.6.20-1.2933.fc6 #1 SMP Mon Mar 19 11:38:26 EDT 2007 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
java -version
java version "1.5.0_11" Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_11-b03) Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_11-b03, mixed mode, sharing)
javac -version
javac 1.5.0_11 import java.awt.event.*; import javax.swing.*; class SwingWindow extends JFrame {     SwingWindow() {      super("SwingWindow");      JMenuBar menuBar = new JMenuBar();              JMenu fileMenu = new JMenu("File");         JMenuItem newItem = new JMenuItem("New");         newItem.addActionListener(new ActionListener() {             public void actionPerformed(ActionEvent event) {           SwingWindow.createAndShowGUI();             }         });      fileMenu.add(newItem);         menuBar.add(fileMenu);         setJMenuBar(menuBar);         setDefaultCloseOperation(JFrame.DISPOSE_ON_CLOSE);             JTextField text = new JTextField(200);      getContentPane().add(text);      pack();      setSize(700, 275);     }     public static void createAndShowGUI() {         JFrame frame = new SwingWindow();         frame.setVisible(true);     }     public static void main(String[] args) {         javax.swing.SwingUtilities.invokeLater(new Runnable() {             public void run() {                 createAndShowGUI();             }         });     } }
  • 1. Re: Loss of keyboard focus in Java appl running under linux
    807596 Newbie
    You can implement the FocusListener interface. When the first JFrame gains focus, call text.requestFocusInWindow(). I hope this helps.
  • 2. Re: Loss of keyboard focus in Java appl running under linux
    807596 Newbie
    You can implement the FocusListener interface. When
    the first JFrame gains focus, call
    text.requestFocusInWindow(). I hope this helps.
    The call requestFocusInWindow is not helping, perhaps even making it worse.

The problem seems to be that I am in the situation where the call

KeyboardFocusManager.getCurrentKeyboardFocusManager().getPermanentFocusOwner()

is returning the expected Component. The problem is that the KeyListener class that is registered with the Component is not being called when a key is being pressed.

The issue is that I have a component that has the keyboard focus, but the KeyListener class
    is not responding.

This seems to be a linux only problem which makes it only mysterious.