12 Replies Latest reply: Mar 31, 2007 9:11 PM by 807596 RSS

is anybody know where to find win32com.dll files

its used with comm.jar

• 1. Re: win32com.dll
          You can find it in the following package

and if you succeed in detecting the serial port with javax.comm just tell me about your advancement

more information there

all the best
          • 2. Re: win32com.dll
            I would like to know whether you got the solution for detecting serial port with javax.comm API. If so, will you please help me in that?
            • 3. Re: win32com.dll
              I got it to work =). Thank god.

I had to put the .dll in the system32 directory. I put the properties file in the jre/lib (I also put the dll here, but it did not work on its own). I added the .jar file as an additional archived source (I'm using eclipse). And then was able to run a GPS connectionTest without fail.

Here is that source code which you may want to use as reference in terms of detecting the serial port.
              • 4. Re: win32com.dll
                Thanks alot for that link, i have been searching like crazy befor looking in forum, :)
                • 5. Re: win32com.dll
                  I too was searching for hours, thank you so much for the link. It worked for me, what a relief!
                  • 6. Re: win32com.dll
                    hey guys.....plzzz help me out....

1st of all i don't hv the properties file.....

secondly....i need to know how can i get modem inputs in my PC....

I m doin a project on takin alphanumeric input from modem which will b typed by the phone user and performing a search in my database and on that searched tuple i need to take that and convert to speech which again i need to read back to the phone via modem.

its a bit type of IVR project....

PLzzzzz help me out guys....
                    • 7. Re: win32com.dll
                      guys i got the properties file...me too a nut....but can u plzz help me out on my project details wch i hv listed in my previous post...
                      • 8. Re: win32com.dll
                        The above link did not work for me, so after some searching, I found win32comm.dll in this zip file ->

• 9. Re: win32com.dll
                          have you been succeded? ..me too need some advices - i just follow to simple example (from tutorial) and nothing happened - can not find any ports..
                          • 10. Re: win32com.dll
                            Some things I've found out about using javax.comm (using JDK118-javaxcomm.zip; link in posting 2 by Yanos):
                            - comm.jar has to be on the classpath (for sure ;-))
                            - win32com.dll is allowed to be in any dir but you have to point to that dir using the system property java.library.path: e.g.
                            java -Djava.library.path=<the dir that contains win32com.dll> -classpath ...

The search strategy used to find javax.comm.properties:
                            - first: searching for: System.getProperty("java.home") + File.separator + "lib" + File.separator + "javax.comm.properties"
                            - if not found: javax.comm.properties is searched in the same dir comm.jar is stored; that's done by tokenizing System.getProperty("java.class.path") using a StreamTokenizer using File.pathSeparatorChar (";" on Win32) as token delimiter;

Because "_" and ":" are not defined for that StreamTokenizer as "normal" characters that are allowed inside a filename it won't work if you have a "_" inside the path to your comm.jar and it won't work if comm.jar is located on another drive than the current!!!!! ;-(((

Remember that for parsing / tokenizing any path always the system dependend File.pathSeparatorChar / File.separatorChar is used
                            • 11. Re: win32com.dll
                              Initialization of CommPortIdentifier is really bad. The attached class does (for me) a better job. It removes the restrictions (no "_", ":" in classpath) as described in my previous posting. See JavaDoc on how to use. Please reply if it works for you too.
                              import java.io.File;
                              import java.io.IOException;
                              import java.io.StreamTokenizer;
                              import java.io.StringReader;
                              import java.lang.reflect.Field;
                              import java.lang.reflect.Method;
                              import javax.comm.CommPortIdentifier;
                               * This class tries to do a better initialization of javax.comm than 
                               * javax.comm.CommPortIdentifier (date: 15th Nov 1998) does because
                               * the original implementation does not tokenize the classpath on Win32 systems
                               * in a correct way. 
                               * <P/>
                               * Just force the loading of that class does the job:
                               * <pre>
                               * Class.forName( "JavaXCommInitializer" );
                               * </pre>
                               * or
                               * <pre>
                               * Class c = JavaXCommInitializer.class;
                               * </pre>
                               * If not already done this class first forces the initialization of the original
                               * javax.comm.CommPortIdentifier (by calling getPortIdentifiers()) and runs the own initialization
                               * only if no ports were returned.
                               * <P/>
                               * Therefore access to private methods of javax.comm.CommPortIdentifier using the reflection
                               * API is necessary ;-). This will not be possible if you have a SecurityManager installed and not granted
                               * the necessary permissions.
                               * <P/>
                               * Most of the code is based on a decompiled version of javax.comm.CommPortIdentifier downloaded from 
                               * http://www.cs.uml.edu/~fredm/courses/91.305/software/JDK118-javaxcomm.zip
                              public class JavaXCommInitializer {
                                  private JavaXCommInitializer() {}
                                  private static String findPropFile() {
                                      String s = System.getProperty("java.class.path");
                                      StreamTokenizer streamtokenizer = new StreamTokenizer(((java.io.Reader) (new StringReader(s))));
                                      streamtokenizer.whitespaceChars(((int) (File.pathSeparatorChar)), ((int) (File.pathSeparatorChar)));
                                      streamtokenizer.wordChars(((int) (File.separatorChar)), ((int) (File.separatorChar)));
                                      // characters allowed in a path (as long as they're not conflicting with File.pathSeparatorChar
                                      char[] normalChars = { '.', ':', '_' }; 
                                      for( int i = 0; i < normalChars.length; i++ ) {
                                          char c = normalChars;
                              if( c != File.pathSeparatorChar ) {
                              streamtokenizer.wordChars(c, c);

try {
                              while(streamtokenizer.nextToken() != -1) {
                              int i = -1;
                              if(streamtokenizer.ttype == -3 && (i = streamtokenizer.sval.indexOf("comm.jar")) != -1) {
                              String s1 = streamtokenizer.sval;
                              File file = new File(s1);
                              if(file.exists()) {
                              String s2 = s1.substring(0, i);
                              if(s2 != null)
                              s2 = s2 + "." + File.separator + "javax.comm.properties";
                              s2 = "." + File.separator + "javax.comm.properties";
                              File file1 = new File(s2);
                              return file1.getCanonicalPath();
                              return null;
                              catch(IOException _ex) { }
                              return null;

private static void callPrivateMethod( Class clazz, String methodName, Class[] argTypes, Object[] args )
                              Exception {
                              Method m = clazz.getDeclaredMethod( methodName, argTypes );
                              m.setAccessible( true );
                              m.invoke( null, args );

private static void setPrivateAttribute( Class clazz, String attrName, Object value )
                              Exception {
                              Field f = clazz.getDeclaredField( attrName );
                              f.setAccessible( true );
                              f.set( null, value );

static {
                              // call the default initialization of javax.comm ...
                              if( !CommPortIdentifier.getPortIdentifiers().hasMoreElements() ) {
                              // ... if no ports found try to do it better ;-)

// no need for loading javax.comm.properties from <JAVA_HOME>/lib/javax.comm.properties
                              // as this is done very well by default init in CommPortIdentifier

// search propFile
                              String myPropfilename = findPropFile();
                              try {
                              if( myPropfilename != null ) {
                              // loadDriver(propfilename);
                              callPrivateMethod( CommPortIdentifier.class, "loadDriver", new Class[]{ String.class }, new Object[]{ myPropfilename } );
                              // propfilename = myPropfilename;
                              setPrivateAttribute( CommPortIdentifier.class, "propfilename", myPropfilename );
                              catch(Exception e) {
                              System.err.println(((Object) e));
                              • 12. Re: win32com.dll
                                Hi people , grretings for all .
                                I just want to know if the win32com.dll file is actually being supported by Sun .
                                I think that it has been replaced by rxtx project .

I don't know actually .

Thanks .