This discussion is archived
0 Replies Latest reply: Oct 29, 2008 1:05 PM by 843849 RSS

Which PDA / SmartPhone to choose for CDC development ?

843849 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,
I need a new SmartPhone or PDA for developing Java applications. I already gained two years of experience using an old HP iPAQ together with IBM's J9, so I am not really a newbie. But what is really new for me is the overwhelmingly confusing PDA and SmartPhone market. Lots of different vendors with lots of different models. I am now looking at different product descriptions for three days without seeing much clearer. Could anyone help me and tell me about your experience with specific models or vendors ?

I'm especially interested in certain questions.
1) Am I able to start multiple VMs on a SmartPhone and run multiple applications in the background or is this only possible on PDAs ?
2) How do I know if I am able to access an integrated GPS receiver with my Java apps ?
3) and I also like to access an RFID reader (normally an SDIO or Compact Flash expansion card), is that possible ?
4) and finally, which vendor has it's own Java developer community, e.g. Sony/Ericsson seems to have that, but who else (perhaps HTC, cause they have really nice TouchPhones) ?

Googling did not help me very much, so any answers, hints, experience reports, good web references etc. are gladly welcome. Thanks in advance !

Cheers