This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 5, 2009 6:01 AM by PhHein RSS

Remove HAVi UI Widgets from future versions of GEM ?

843851 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
There are discussions to make the HAVi UI widgets optional in future versions of the GEM specification,
since it is claimed that they are rarely used.

This would simplify the implementation of GEM compliant platforms,
applications would have to use PBP or some PBP-based custom UI toolkit.

Is there anybody who really uses / needs the HAVi UI widgets ?

Michael
  • 1. Re: Remove HAVi UI Widgets from future versions of GEM ?
    843851 Newbie
    I am just a starter with MHP/OCAP (as you can see from my posts) but from following thread I get a feeling that you can not use AWT and have to use HAVI for most part then how can they get rid of if?

http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5281104&tstart=0

Also I thought Havi API is on top of PBP , which you are mentioning to have some custom UI toolkit.
  • 2. Re: Remove HAVi UI Widgets from future versions of GEM ?
    843851 Newbie
    Sure. Allthough they have their downsides, it's quite handy when you don't have to worry about navigation, style & layout, event handling etc. Just create the widget and add it to an HContainer, simple as that.
  • 3. Re: Remove HAVi UI Widgets from future versions of GEM ?
    843851 Newbie
    HAVi widgets are not being used in Belgium MHP deployement.
    Tests in the past have shown that interoperability across different implementation of havi widgets cannot be garanteed.
    Apart from havi widgets, some other havi api's are also used for other things like Hscene, HBackground.
    These are essential and used by most (if not by all) xlets.
    In the mean time havi widgets are now optional in GEM 1.2.2. But they remain mandatory in MHP 1.2.2.
    Why are they still mandatory in MHP 1.2.2 ? And could one make a MHP 1.2.2 implementation without havi widgets ?
  • 4. Re: Remove HAVi UI Widgets from future versions of GEM ?
    PhHein Guru Moderator
    Welcome to the forum. Please don't post in threads that are long dead. When you have a question, start your own topic. Feel free to provide a link to an old post that may be relevant to your problem.

I'm locking this thread now.