14 Replies Latest reply: Sep 4, 2008 6:23 PM by 843851 RSS

JM studio capture on PCI tv tuner...

Hi all!!!

I am using PCI TV tuner card (Avermedia tv card).

I am unable to view any channel on my JM studo view using capture command.I have installed al the supporting Drivers supplied by vender ( which are VFW compliant) I am not able to find what went wrong with my working set up ( JMF 2.1.1e , JDK 1.4.2_06, JAXP 1.0.1, Java TV API 1.0, Personel java 3.1)

Thanks in advance.

venki
        • 1. Re: JM studio capture on PCI tv tuner...
          Hi over there,

I'm happy to see that... well, I'm happy because someone else is doing the same, and I feel bad, because none of us has solved the problem yet.

Let me see. Here is my situation. I'm programming a digital video surveillance system, using an external multiplexer as the video source. I have a DigiVue card (this card and software was supposed to do everything I need but is doesn't work the way it is supposed to... well, I actually just does not work), and I also have an AverMedia TV capture card.

I managed to get video from the tv card. I have been searching how to select the video input, wether it shall be from the TV tunner, from the RCA video input or via the S-Video plug but I just can't find a way to do it, at least not while using JMF.

The problem here is that when I start a player or a processor , JMF uses the S-Video input. I can't say why.

I thought using the TV API would solve the problem but I haven't been able to do that either.

How are you doing about your problem now? Does the JMF registry list your tv capture card?
          • 2. Re: JM studio capture on PCI tv tuner...
            Hi,
            I'm with the same problem. I'm not getting succeed list my TV card(hauppauge). What's wrong?? Did Someone get fix this problem??? Please Help ME!!!!
            • 3. Re: JM studio capture on PCI tv tuner...
              Hello there,

I managed to change the video input of the tv captura card. If anyone is still interested, just drop a message ;-)
              • 4. Re: JM studio capture on PCI tv tuner...
                Yes please...
                • 5. Re: JM studio capture on PCI tv tuner...
                  i'm also have the same problem... i'm currently using Hauppauge WinTV USB with usbvision as the driver under SUSE 10. JMStudio only display output from aerial input. I want to capture video from s-video in. what am i suppose to do?? please help...
                  • 6. Re: JM studio capture on PCI tv tuner...
                    Hi,

I was wondering whether anyone has a definitive answer to this question...I guess boasting about having this solved without a howto is not enough. So here are my queries:

1.how does one specify which input to capture video from a tv tuner card that supports multiple inputs (e.g. s-video, antenna etc.).

2.how does one programatically change channels, if antenna input capturing is used?

Pertaining to 1. the JMF Dev Guide specifies that one should obtain a PortControl from the CaptureDevice Datasource and then set the appropriate mask.
                    HOWEVER, my tv card (Kworld NB-TV 100) resp. its WDM driver does not expose a PortControl interface. here is my code:

try{
                    DataSource capturedev = (DataSource)Manager.createDataSource(deviceInfo.getLocator());
                    Object[] controls = capturedev.getControls();
                    for (int i = 0; i < controls.length; i++) {
                    if (controls[i] instanceof PortControl) {
                    System.out.println("PortControl supported, i = "+i);
                    PortControl portcontrol = (PortControl)controls;
                    int ports = portcontrol.getSupportedPorts();
                    System.out.println("Ports supported, i = "+ports);
                    }
                    }
                    }catch(Exception e){
                    e.printStackTrace();
                    }

Running the above code does not print anything, i.e. no PortControl is exposed.

Regarding point 2, there is an email in the list asserting that channels can be changed using a Formatcontrol. However, again, no detailed description is provided on how to do that. Personally, all I can do via the FormatControl is to change the Videoformat of the captured video.

I would appreciate any help,
                    Thanks

Message was edited by:
                    rockyracoon
                    • 7. Re: JM studio capture on PCI tv tuner...
                      Hi,

Im sorry about your problem.
                      But I need help starting out something. I have a project where I aim to give real time video streaming from a TV card to an applet on the web.
                      Figured you could help out by telling me how to go about it.

I havent even started!

PLEASE HELP!!!!
                      • 8. Re: JM studio capture on PCI tv tuner...
                        Hello ,
                        i'm very interested, how you do? ???

Tnk
                        • 9. Re: JM studio capture on PCI tv tuner...
                          HI IztmixtliCatarina!

I'm very interested to know how you can change your input method in a TV card... I've tried by getting the controls from the DataSource generated from the CaptureDeviceInfo locator, but I get nothing....

Can you tell (us everyone) how did you do it?

thanks a lot ;)
                          • 10. Re: JM studio capture on PCI tv tuner...
                            Hello there,
                            I am trying to get the S-video stream into my application. When I look for the devices connected using VideoFormat, I get no devices. I have a PCI TV usb, with which I want my application in java to see the live video coming on the S-video. You have mentioned that u get the video from the s-video. I would appreciate if you could help me out. Your response would be appreciated.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Message was edited by:
                            riteshromi
                            • 11. Re: JM studio capture on PCI tv tuner...
                              Hi Everyone

I am very new to java but I have programmed in a few other languages and have the basics down. I am having serious problems understanding how to impliment the java TV add on in my application. Could some one please point me in the direction on a tutorial or some sample source on how to access video from a tv card and switch which port (s-video etc) to take the information from.

Thanks In Advance
                              • 12. Re: JM studio capture on PCI tv tuner...
                                I went through the JMF source and unless I am just missing something, I found no video data sources in the entire package that implement the PortControl interface.

Seems like Sun's implementation is just sorely lacking/incomplete.

Perhaps an active maintainer can shed some light and prove us wrong?

It's seriously disappointing to see such a glaring hole in JMF, and no active development for the past 3 years.
                                • 13. Re: JM studio capture on PCI tv tuner...
                                  welcome venki
                                  • 14. Re: JM studio capture on PCI tv tuner...
                                    Hello everybody!
                                    I think we must use jni to resolve this problems.
                                    It seems to me it is not so simple way.
                                    For windows platform I downloaded Windows SDK and compiled their capturing video sample (DirectShow).
                                    I tried to understand how it works. The function SetVideoIndex(LONG index) doesn't simply write long value (input index) to capture device driver.
                                    It selects preffered routing from video inputs to video outputs. The list of possible routs is creating due to recursive search.

There is anybody else who tried jni way to switch video input ports?