5 Replies Latest reply: Jun 5, 2008 9:20 AM by 843851 RSS

MHP serial return channel

Does anyone know how to use the serial port present in some set-top boxes?
      Is it a RS232 serial port?
      It's intended to provide a way of using other return device than a modem, but since the MHP spec. only defines that the return channel is a TCP/IP connection and the basic connection handle API, I don't know how to setthe return channel to be by the serial port.
      I also need direct access to it, not over TCP/IP, but using streams or something like. Has anyone written some code to talk to this port, or can indicate me som documentation references?
        • 1. Re: MHP serial return channel
          There is no standardised API for accessing the serial port in a JavaTV or MHP STB. The main purpose of this is to provide debugging output (and possible application download on some developer systems). Usually the port itself will be a standard RS232 port.

Individual STBs may provide an interface to it, but this will depend on the hardware manufacturer and middleware vendor, and so there is no interoperable solution.

Steve.
          • 2. Re: MHP serial return channel
            There is requirement that an MHP box support an RS232 port, hence there are no standard API's to support it. All the Debug boxes I've seen use a serial port for debug (uploading xlets to debug are reading back trace messages written to standard out).

If you want to use the return channel you'll need to look at the org.dvb.net.rc packages to set up the return channel. For example use:

RCInterfaceManager.getInstance().getInterfaces();

to find out what return channel hardware you've got attached to your STB. After you've set up the connection you can use the standard java.io and java.net packages to talk to your remote server.

Hope this helps,

Roger
            • 3. Re: MHP serial return channel
              Hi Roger,

I reviewed org.dvb.net.rc packages to set up the return channel.

RCInterfaceManager.getInstance().getInterfaces();

1. I will be using Modem and UART in STB to communicate with the server.

2. I am not JAVA person. I know Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003. I want to
              simple program using org.dvb.net.rc packages to set up the return channel.
              Can I do with Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003? If Yes, which project
              I should select?

I need to setup demo for the retutn channel, using org.dvb.net.rc packages,
              uart and modem.

Thanks for your help.

mshah123
              • 4. Re: MHP serial return channel
                Hi,
                Can I do with Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003?
                In a word No. Sorry. If you want to write JavaTv applications you have to use Java.

Roger
                • 5. Re: MHP serial return channel
                  hello

i want to use the return channel and i tried your code

RCInterfaceManager.getInstance().getInterfaces

the getinterfaces returns null, does this mean i have no return channel available. I am using osmosys sdk

Can anyone help?

thanks alot