1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next 118 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2010 6:25 PM by 6363 Go to original post
      • 30. Re: Getting the splash screen a LOT today
        darrylburke
        Billy  Verreynne  wrote:
        Darryl Burke wrote:
        I know I 'worked' on a PC/XT 4.77/8 MHz 8086/8087/8088
        I owned one. Was hellishly expensive. Could have bought an okayish 2nd hand car instead.
        Heck, the 386 system I worked on (which included a 'dumb' PC as a remote terminal, one color and one mono monitor, Xenix, DOS and the usual software of those days -- SCO Professional, Lyrix, foxbase, GWBASIC, WordStar, IMAGineThat(sp?) ...) cost the company about as much as 2-3 new cars.

db
        • 31. Re: Getting the splash screen a LOT today
          Billy~Verreynne
          That is a great response to get. The best one I had many years ago was an IT manager contacting me (all the way from the UK) to find out whether I want a job there after I helped out some developers in his department with some problem or another on Usenet. :-)

The real satisfaction here is getting an interesting, complex and somewhat unexpected problem and solving it. Some like Sudoko.. I think many of us here like interesting technical Oracle related problems instead... besides beer of course. ;-)
          • 32. Re: Getting the splash screen a LOT today
            darrylburke
            Billy  Verreynne  wrote:
            You can have all my dukes
            Aren't they called Orcas here/ ;)
            Heck, we cannot even buy a single beer wth 10,000 duke dollars... so I do not see what worth you see in them.
            Oh, but they impress the girls no end ;) ;) <font size="1">Or so we would like to believe...</font>

db
            • 33. Re: Getting the splash screen a LOT today
              darrylburke
              Munky wrote:
              >
              Heck, we cannot even buy a single beer wth 10,000 duke dollars... so I do not see what worth you see in them.
              >
              I'd be up for a reward system whereby we get sent beer! :D

Funnily enough, someone from the APEX forum once did exactly that for me. A week's worth of assistance getting to the bottom of this guy's issue and he sent me a crate! Needless to say, I put a watch on his profile, in case he ever needed help again ;)

What joy.
              Congratulations. Sincerely. Absolutely no sarcasm implied.

db
              • 34. Re: Getting the splash screen a LOT today
                Billy~Verreynne
                Darryl Burke wrote:

Heck, the 386 system I worked on (which included a 'dumb' PC as a remote terminal, one color and one mono monitor, Xenix, DOS and the usual software of those days -- SCO Professional, Lyrix, foxbase, GWBASIC, WordStar, IMAGineThat(sp?) ...) cost the company about as much as 2-3 new cars.
                Eish...

Xenix huh? Never ran across it. Back then we did mostly Sinix (Siemens), Irix (Silicon Graphics) and Reliant Unix (Pyramid Systems) on RISC based chipsets. And some SCO in-between. And weird stuff too. Like interfacing to SNA via LU6.2, running dedicated SLIP servers. Even using Microsoft's LAN Manager instead of the more traditional NFS, natively on SVR4.

The really kewl thing was getting a Posix sub-system (running a lot of basic SRV4 Unix stuff) in a mainframe o/s - which provided a lot of flexibility for integrating mainframes with Unix servers.

Only when NT 3.5 came around did I get into x86 based server hardware... and this was a some time after the 386 chipset. Except for Linux though.. I recall building kernels on my 386 PC (with a whopping 4MB of RAM "borrowed" from a couple of X-terminals) before going to bed, as it took quite a while to compile and link. Hmm.. that PC running Linux could have been a candidate for running OTN..

So how about it? We pool our old 386's together into a little cluster and run OTN for Oracle... on DOS and dBase, using Novel's LAN Workplace for DOS that included an IP stack? :-)
                • 35. Re: Getting the splash screen a LOT today
                  munky
                  >
                  Xenix huh?
                  >
                  Did you ever run across Xentrix, the english comptemporaries of Metallica signed to Roadrunner in the early 80's? If not, I suggest you get your hands on a copy of their Shattered Existence album, cracking stuff indeed (the singer was a bit poo but they knew how to write a catchy chuggin riff - sometimes 3 or 4 classic riffs per song!) :)
                  • 36. Re: Getting the splash screen a LOT today
                    Dude!
                    I would imagine that people who actively participate in the OTN forum to provide answers have each intentions and benefit on their own. And I guess that intentions are not necessarily to help Oracle to win customers or to explain someone on the other side of the planet how to plug in the computer. Some people play games just for the high score.

I think the reward system is essential, as well as the statistics of hits per thread. Oracle, like any other business, must value its customers. The OTN forum is probably the cheapest option to the benefit of Oracle, which should at least allow customers to show a personal profile and build a reference and network in return.
                    • 37. Re: Getting the splash screen a LOT today
                      Billy~Verreynne
                      Darryl Burke wrote:
                      You can have all my dukes
                      Aren't they called Orcas here/ ;)
                      I must have missed the memo.
                      Oh, but they impress the girls no end ;) ;) <font size="1">Or so we would like to believe...</font>
                      Okay.. but how do you best wear them to impress the girls? Like this +<striking an Apollo god-like pose>+ ? Or this +<striking a James Dean burning-looks-in-red-jacket pose>+ ?

Boneist.. what do you think? And why are you laughing so hard? ?:|
                      • 38. Re: Getting the splash screen a LOT today
                        I worked on a Jive implementation quite a few years ago and it wasn't great software. All of those bells and whistles like the red blobby thing and user ranking are calculated by Jive on the fly. Fine for small systems but once you get a forum like this where some users have 10's of 1000's of posts it's going to struggle badly.

However, I suspect that the real problem is that all of the migrated Sun forums seem to have posts by SunForumsGuest. Over 2.2 million of them! That'd screw things up very badly. Clearly someone forgot to test the migration.

In the short term Oracle can fix that particular issue of course but longer term they probably need to migrate off Jive completely. It's not on Jive Software's roadmap and the problem will only get worse as Oracle keeps acquiring new companies and migrating their forums. Anyone got any suggestions of software that offers the features people seem to want and actually scales properly?

G
                        • 39. Re: Getting the splash screen a LOT today
                          BluShadow
                          800815 wrote:
                          However, I suspect that the real problem is that all of the migrated Sun forums seem to have posts by SunForumsGuest. Over 2.2 million of them! That'd screw things up very badly. Clearly someone forgot to test the migration.
                          Testing! Pah, Testing is for wusses! ;)
                          • 40. Re: Getting the splash screen a LOT today
                            Dude!
                            Never heard of Jive before: http://www.jivesoftware.com/products/beyond/forums

Some of the biggest forum sites seem to use e.g. phpBB or vBulletin.

http://www.big-boards.com
                            http://www.phpbb.com/about/features

On the other hand, some of the biggest companies use MS Windows, which doesn't make it the best OS ever produced.

But I would imagine the Oracle staff that maintains the OTN network should have enough expertise to select or develop the most suitable product, or partition the workload to avoid product limits.

Edited by: waldorfm on Oct 20, 2010 5:48 AM
                            • 41. Re: Getting the splash screen a LOT today
                              SomeoneElse
                              Actually, I thought the Oracle forums were just fine until the major Jive upgrade. (Was that about 2 years ago? 3?)
                              • 42. Re: Getting the splash screen a LOT today
                                Darryl Burke wrote:
                                Lubiez Jean-Valentin wrote:
                                I can connect today and the performance seems to be good, but now I don't see the points and marks.
                                I predict that the next casualty will be the rewards system itself.
                                I hope you are right and this truly stupid feature is gone for good.

A modest proposal
                                • 43. Re: Getting the splash screen a LOT today
                                  sourdoughwannab
                                  Yipeeeeee......I can actually get here without the splash screen today!!!!!!

Oh, and sorry it's not quantity (of posts or dukes) which impresses us gals, it's quality (of posts)!!!!! ;-)
                                  • 44. Re: Getting the splash screen a LOT today
                                    Billy~Verreynne
                                    800815 wrote:
                                    I worked on a Jive implementation quite a few years ago and it wasn't great software. All of those bells and whistles like the red blobby thing and user ranking are calculated by Jive on the fly. Fine for small systems but once you get a forum like this where some users have 10's of 1000's of posts it's going to struggle badly.

And this is the kind of thing from the J2EE camp that rubs me the wrong way - not using and leveraging the functionality and scalability that the database provides. 2.2 million rows are peanuts. In today's database systems, it ranks as pretty small. Managing, filtering and aggregating such a data set is pretty run-of-the-mill database stuff - when Oracle is capable of dealing with exponentially larger data volumes. (for example, my busiest Oracle table grows by a few 100 million rows per day)
                                    In the short term Oracle can fix that particular issue of course but longer term they probably need to migrate off Jive completely. It's not on Jive Software's roadmap and the problem will only get worse as Oracle keeps acquiring new companies and migrating their forums. Anyone got any suggestions of software that offers the features people seem to want and actually scales properly?
                                    I made the suggestion here in the past, half in jest and half serious, that Oracle provides a R&D environment for us, and let us build an Open Source Jives replacement using Oracle, PL/SQL and Apex. Minimal moving parts between data and web user (no additional and distinct app tier needed, with associated h/w and maintenance and costs). And a proven recipe that works (sites like asktom.oracle.com have been using it successfully for years).
                                    1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next