This discussion is archived
9 Replies Latest reply: Nov 1, 2010 10:56 AM by 805365 RSS

Performance Issue

805365 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Let's say you want to play an AudioInputStream and you want to have a constant time buffer to read from AudioInputStream and write to Line. Is there any way to know the cpu needed deppending on the bits per sample, frame rate, etc?

and...how many calculations can i do?

I guess this is a very difficult question and will depend on the OS, Computer, etc. Can I have a clue with any of the tools in netBeans?

thank you
  • 1. Re: Performance Issue
    793415 Pro
    802362 wrote:
    ..Can I have a clue with any of the tools in netBeans?
    WTF did any of your other questions in that message have to do with Netbeans? Did you expect to find a "Write Me A Sound Application" wizard? If so, perhaps you'd better ask that on a Netbeans forum.
  • 2. Re: Performance Issue
    captfoss Pro
    802362 wrote:
    Is there any way to know the cpu needed deppending on the bits per sample, frame rate, etc?

and...how many calculations can i do?
    No, there's no way to know any of that.... and if you think there's a need to know any of it, you've poorly designed whatever you're working on.
  • 3. Re: Performance Issue
    805365 Newbie
    Andrew Thompson wrote:
    802362 wrote:
    WTF did any of your other questions in that message have to do with Netbeans? Did you expect to find a "Write Me A Sound Application" wizard? If so, perhaps you'd better ask that on a Netbeans forum.
    I am sorry that I don't understand you. I don't know what or who WTF is.
    Anyhow quotes like you say:
    "Did you expect to find a "Write Me A Sound Application" wizard?"
    seem an absurdity when you are answering in a forum where people are trying to learn.

now if you would like, teach me who or what is WTF and sorry for the question (I might be too dumb for you)
  • 4. Re: Performance Issue
    793415 Pro
    802362 wrote:
    Andrew Thompson wrote:
    802362 wrote:
    I am sorry that I don't understand you. I don't know what or who WTF is.
    http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=wtf
    Anyhow quotes like you say:
    "Did you expect to find a "Write Me A Sound Application" wizard?"
    seem an absurdity when you are answering in a forum where people are trying to learn.
    Would you ask about how to make pottery in a forum devoted to cooking? Netbeans has its own forums.
    now if you would like, teach me who or what is WTF ..
    See above.
    ..and sorry for the question (I might be too dumb for you)
    The important thing is whether you are capable of achieving the task you have set yourself. So far you have demonstrated:
    - No ability to do research.
    - The bad choice to follow-up the sarcastic reply when a more technical reply had already been posted.

What do you think your chances are?
  • 5. Re: Performance Issue
    805365 Newbie
    Thank you, genius for your enlightment. I thought WTF was more of a technical thing...

I think sometimes people like you are triggered by some questions and rapidly write some ingenious quotes and I think maybe you have not read the question above.
    What i meant deals with clock operations based on cpu hardware in a known time.

Anyhow, thanks you are so funny.
  • 6. Re: Performance Issue
    captfoss Pro
    802362 wrote:
    Thank you, genius for your enlightment. I thought WTF was more of a technical thing...
    Perhaps having an attitude with the people that offer help on a forum isn't a good way to go about getting help...

I think maybe you have not read the question above.
    What i meant deals with clock operations based on cpu hardware in a known time.
    Really?

"Can I have a clue with any of the tools in netBeans?"

Because it sounds like you were looking for a magical Netbeans tools that somehow counted CPU cycles, which isn't something that Java would even have access to do or any way to know...
    Anyhow, thanks you are so funny.
    Not sure why I ever bother to respond if you're just ignoring my responses...

But again, no, you can't know what you're wanting to know...
  • 7. Re: Performance Issue
    805365 Newbie
    You are right, I must say I am sorry to you since you show a different attitude, you are so patient. English is not my mother language and sometimes I can be misunderstood because I don't express in a clear way, sometimes I can't understand what others say either (and I know this is my problem). But when you look for help the "WTF"...is polite? is he helping in any manner?. That is what I mean. I guess sometimes it has to be hard to read some posts and see that people are asking silly questions, but we are learning. If the post is so "absurd" just be polite and say so, if not just don't write because nobody asked for the WTF language.

I guess this forum have to be moderated for people like me but also for people like the one above.

Anyhow sorry for the inconveniences.
  • 8. Re: Performance Issue
    captfoss Pro
    802362 wrote:
    You are right, I must say I am sorry to you since you show a different attitude, you are so patient.
    Not really. Andrew and I just have different things we get annoyed about... you just happened to push his buttons and not mine in this instance, but I can assure you I've reacted harshly to questions before. Everyone does.
    But when you look for help the "WTF"...is polite? is he helping in any manner?.
    WTF isn't necessarily polite, but it's more polite than the alternative ;-)

And yes, he's helping you learn to ask your questions better so you're more likely to get help faster in the future...
    If the post is so "absurd" just be polite and say so, if not just don't write
    A lot of times, there are so few "experts" in a topic that one or two people regularly respond to all of the questions. Most of the JavaSound questions will be answered by myself and/or Andrew...

So while you didn't exactly ask for his help directly, posting on the JavaSound forum is essentially asking for one of the two of us to help you because we're the only ones that respond regularly to questions here... and asking an especially stupid or off-topic question is essentially wasting our time.

I don't like to leave questions without a response, regardless of the question. But if I find the question stupid or a waste of my time, I don't have a problem indicating such. Neither do most of the regular helpers around the forum...
    nobody asked for the WTF language.
    Actually... If you ask a question that makes someone go "WTF?", then you've kinda asked for them to respond "WTF?" to you ;-)
  • 9. Re: Performance Issue
    805365 Newbie
    Understood ;)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points