5 Replies Latest reply: Aug 24, 2004 12:02 AM by 427263 RSS

How to Disable save option when displaying PDF in browser

Hi

Can anyone tell me

How to Disable save option when displaying PDF in browser. So that I can restrict the user from saving the copy of the report in the local disk.

with regards

Saravanan Ramesh
        • 1. Re: How to Disable save option when displaying PDF in browser
          Hi,

Not sure how to do this directly in the browser.

There is one sample download available from Oracle Reports Plugin Exchange that allows you to specify a set of 9 security options (for example, noprint, nomodify, etc). I'm not sure whether you can disable saving to local disk, however, you might be able to password-protect the generated PDF using this sample. Pl go through the readme for details.

The sample is called SecurePDF:
          http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/reports/pluginxchange/index.html

If this does not satisfy your demand, you could probably look for any 3rd party plugin tool available on the net that achieves what you are looking for. If you find one, you can integrate it with Oracle Reports using its Java plugin API:
          http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/reports/apis/index.html

Navneet.
          • 2. Re: How to Disable save option when displaying PDF in browser
            Thank your for your immediate reply, I will try this and revert back
            • 3. Re: How to Disable save option when displaying PDF in browser
              Hi Navneet

I followed the steps in the document with the securepdf zip which you refered me and completed the steps in the Developer suite. When I try to run the report with the following URL its giving me the following error.

http://ramesh:8888/reports/rwservlet?DESTYPE=SecurePDF&DESFORMAT=pdf&DESNAME="plop;c:\testpdf.pdf;noprint+nomodify"&report=test.rdf&userid=scott/tiger@sunmoto

REP-56092: No class defined for destination type SecurePDF

Can you help on this

Thanks in advance

Ramesh
              • 4. Re: How to Disable save option when displaying PDF in browser
                Hi Ramesh,

Just re-confirm that you have followed all the steps in the readme. The error you are getting is thrown if Reports Server cannot find the class for SecurePDF. This class is located in the JAR SecurePdfDestination.jar that you downloaded from OTN. This JAR may not have been put properly in the classpath. I am guessing you need to especially confirm whether you have followed this section of the readme: - "Deploying the new destination class"

I can see from your URL that you are running an in-process server. As mentioned in the readme, for in-process server you need to configure the classpath for OC4J_BI_Forms. But in Developer Suite there is no Enterprise Manager. So how did you configure the classpath?

I think for Dev Suite you need to add the following entries to the server.xml
                <library path="../../../reports/jlib/plop.jar" />
                <library path="../../../reports/jlib/SecurePdfDestination.jar" />

Server.xml is located here (path for Dev Suite 9.0.4):
                ORACLE_HOME\j2ee\DevSuite\config

Restart OC4J and test again.

Which operating system are you using? And which exact Reports version?

Navneet.
                • 5. Re: How to Disable save option when displaying PDF in browser
                  Hi Navneet

Thank you It worked. Now the reports are running.

with regards

Ramesh