7 Replies Latest reply: Jul 10, 2010 7:14 AM by 807557 RSS

JRTS compatiplety

Hi;

I installed Solaris 10 on Virtual Box for study JRTS but I cannot configure network card. So that I am thinking install the open solaris to try. Can I use JRTS with open solaris.

And I am using Eclipse with Java SE. So that I am thinking use eclipse with JRTS. Are there any disadvantage for JRTS if I use eclipse. Or What is the advantage with netbeans for JRTS?
        • 1. Re: JRTS compatiplety
          RTJS works only on solaris platform (in true realtime sense). You can install RTJS unders windows, or opensolaris for tests but cyclic will be problem. What is your host on virtual box.

There is no advantage to use netbeans regarding JRTS. I personally use netbeans but because I like this ide but this is a personal choise I guess.
          • 2. Re: JRTS compatiplety
            Is there windows version of RTSJ only for studying. I couldn't find on sun web side. There is only linux and solaris version on web side?
            • 3. Re: JRTS compatiplety
              It depends what you want to study and what kind of application you want to develop. As windows is not a realtime operating system, it can not provide the timing required for RTJS. But otherwise you can write and play around with RTJS under windows no problem, RTJS is based Java SE 1.5. But I strongly suggest you down load Solaris 10, install and test under solaris. It is a diffrent kind of experince. You have to be in harmony your application, your programming platform and your operating system.
              • 4. Re: JRTS compatiplety
                hevren wrote:
                It depends what you want to study and what kind of application you want to develop. As windows is not a realtime operating system, it can not provide the timing required for RTJS. But otherwise you can write and play around with RTJS under windows no problem,
                No you can not. There is no Windows version of Java RTS available.

David Holmes
                Oracle
                • 5. Re: JRTS compatiplety
                  koray_dmn wrote:
                  Hi;

I installed Solaris 10 on Virtual Box for study JRTS but I cannot configure network card. So that I am thinking install the open solaris to try. Can I use JRTS with open solaris.
                  There is no version of Java RTS for OpenSolaris. The basic VM will install but you can't install the cyclic driver to get real-time behaviour - and you can't create real-time threads without having the cyclic available.
                  And I am using Eclipse with Java SE. So that I am thinking use eclipse with JRTS. Are there any disadvantage for JRTS if I use eclipse. Or What is the advantage with netbeans for JRTS?
                  You can use any IDE for doing code editing, but there's no integrated support for building with Java RTS (in Netbeans you need to define java RTS as a platform and associate it with your program.) Note that you may not be able to use other features of the IDE (debugging, profiling) as not all such features are supported by Java RTS (or will only work in non-deterministic mode).

David Holmes
                  Oracle

Edited by: davidholmes on Jul 10, 2010 10:13 PM - typo: Solaris -> OpenSolaris
                  • 6. Re: JRTS compatiplety
                    Sorry, my answer was partial. If you install solaris under virtual box which is hosted by a windows you can use use JRTS without realtime timing.
                    • 7. Re: JRTS compatiplety
                      Thank you for all answers. I have solved my problem. I could define my network card on virtual box. And I can use cycle driver and APIC timer. I think every thing is ok.

Thank you again