This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 8, 2010 2:23 AM by 807557 RSS

RTSJ hardware compliance

800655 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I want to know is it possible to run RTSJ in opensolaris, virtualized or as host, and I have a EC2 Machine with SUSE installed in it , what I have to do to make it ready for realtime testing I mean what kernel etc., I have to install.
  • 1. Re: RTSJ hardware compliance
    807557 Newbie
    Oracle's Sun Java Realtime System (JRTS) is not supported on OpenSolaris and can not be installed there - sorry. You could use Solaris 10 instead of course.

Running any OS in a virtualized environment will not get you real-time guarantees however as you are dependent on the timing properties that the virtual environment provides to the guest OS and hence the real-time JVM.

David Holmes
    Senior Java Technologist
    Java SE VM Real-Time and Embedded Group
  • 2. Re: RTSJ hardware compliance
    800655 Newbie
    I have read everywhere that Amzon EC2 is comparable to Bare metal, so perhaps , it'll work because what I am trying to do is not very futuristing and I have to use only realtimethread and scheduling , however I am willing to do install of solaris on my home machine if it comes to that, can you guide me to some steps to run it solaris 10 , or solaris 10 comes prebuilt with RT capabilities,
    also I am trying to test it on ubuntu in virtualbox, but I am getting error about libcap.so.1 not present.
  • 3. Re: RTSJ hardware compliance
    807557 Newbie
    76jsr wrote:
    I have read everywhere that Amzon EC2 is comparable to Bare metal, so perhaps , it'll work
    I can't comment on that as I know nothing about it.
    can you guide me to some steps to run it solaris 10 , or solaris 10 comes prebuilt with RT capabilities,
    Solaris 10 has sufficient RT capabilities to run Java RTS. Just install and run.
    also I am trying to test it on ubuntu in virtualbox, but I am getting error about libcap.so.1 not present.
    libcap isn't installed by default on Ubuntu. Just use "apt-get install libcap" (or something like that) to install it.

David Holmes
  • 4. Re: RTSJ hardware compliance
    807557 Newbie
    David:

Regarding libcap, we've recently run into this problem in a Real-Time Systems course we offer at Virginia Tech. The students are using Ubuntu (9.10) and ran into the same problem. We traced it to the following issue: The 32-bit release of Ubuntu 9.10 appears to include libcap 1; the 64-bit release includes libcap 2. To my knowledge, no package is available for libcap 1 under the 64 bit Ubuntu. However, both the 32- and 64-bit JRTS distributions are compiled against libcap1.

We blithely symlinked libcap.so.1 to libcap.so.2, which doesn't seem to have caused any trauma, but we'll certainly post here if we have trouble. Any chance the next release will be compiled against libcap2?

Cheers.

JA
  • 5. Re: RTSJ hardware compliance
    807557 Newbie
    andersoj wrote:
    Regarding libcap, we've recently run into this problem in a Real-Time Systems course we offer at Virginia Tech. The students are using Ubuntu (9.10) and ran into the same problem. We traced it to the following issue: The 32-bit release of Ubuntu 9.10 appears to include libcap 1; the 64-bit release includes libcap 2. To my knowledge, no package is available for libcap 1 under the 64 bit Ubuntu. However, both the 32- and 64-bit JRTS distributions are compiled against libcap1.
    I see. Thanks for the information.
    We blithely symlinked libcap.so.1 to libcap.so.2, which doesn't seem to have caused any trauma, but we'll certainly post here if we have trouble. Any chance the next release will be compiled against libcap2?
    Only if our supported Linux platforms require it.

David Holmes