This discussion is archived
1 Reply Latest reply: Jan 22, 2009 2:45 AM by 807557 RSS

How RTS performance differs when it is installed and bieng used on LINUX

807557 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi

i am new in realtime java and i have posted a couple of questions already. Actually i have limited resources and i am in the phase of testing the performance that how RTS gonna work with normal operating systems like OPen SUSE which is on realtime OS.
So please can any one clear me that how compilation of realtime threads differs when it is being run on Realtime Linux and on non-realtime Linux. Because i am facing problems when i compile some example on my system then i dont know should i trust the results or not. I need help in this regard.....

kind regards.
  • 1. Re: How RTS performance differs when it is installed and bieng used on LINUX
    807557 Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated
    I don't quite understand the question. If you run on a non-real-time Linux then the non-preemptiveness of the kernel will add latencies all over the place. In addition there will be priority inversions all over the place. There may also be differences in how basic real-time priority scheduling is performed.

In short you have lost determinism so the timing properties of your application will be unknown and likely vary from run to run.

David Holmes

Edited by: davidholmes on Jan 22, 2009 8:44 PM