7 Replies Latest reply: Oct 29, 2009 1:48 AM by 403074 RSS

U5 wont' boot to cdrom

I'm have a u5 with openbsd on it. I'm want to get opensolaris installed on it. I have the opensolaris cd, in the cdrom drive. At the ok prompt I type the follwing.

boot cdrom1 -s

witht the following results:

Boot device: /pci@1f,0/pci@1,1/ide@3/cdrom@2,0:f File and args: -s
      Bad magic number in disk label
      Can't open disk label package

Can't open boot device

_ _ _ _
      Any ideas what the problem is? Thank you.
        • 1. Re: U5 wont' boot to cdrom
          If everything in that desktop system is connected in a default fashion, there would be nothing attached to the "cdrom1" path. The optical drive would be at the "cdrom" device path.
          [See an archived copy of Sun's old Infodoc 21216.|http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/validateUser.do?target=Systems/Example/documents/21216]

The error you report:
          Bad magic number in disk label
          Can't open disk label package

...is telling you "there is nothing readable at that destination".

If you've customized your system with multiple drives and placed the optical drive at a non-default cabling, then the CD disk you've chosen needs to be re-burned. Use top quality brand name media and also the slowest burn speed next time.
          • 2. Re: U5 wont' boot to cdrom
            Is it possible that the openbsd installation may have something to do with this. I'm guessing no, since the system is trying to read the cdrom and is not yet at the point openbsd is booting up?
            • 3. Re: U5 wont' boot to cdrom
              I'm sorry I forgot to mention; when the system boots into the current bsd os I can mount the cdrom with the opensolaris cd and read it. I can chang directory (cd) to the cd and move around the directory structure and view files, is this a validation that the cd is readable and working properly?

I'm planning on reburning the cd, just in case.
              • 4. Re: U5 wont' boot to cdrom
                Just because the contents of that CD are readable does not mean you created a disk that is bootable. Each program (from the command-line CDRECORD through the MSWin-based Roxio and Nero) will have specific ways to burn an ISO file correctly. The bootblock has to be placed onto the media correctly and then the actual structure of files can be written.

Spend some time with the built-in help of whatever program you choose to use to burn disks.

"Bad Magic Number" is splattered all over this forum site and many other discussion forum sites. Those discussions usually devolve down to the ISO being burned incorrectly.
                • 5. Re: U5 wont' boot to cdrom
                  I re-burned the iso to a fresh cd on the slowest speed using the disk utility on a mac. I have a different error:

I issued the command boot cdrom -s
                  the results are:

Boot device: /pci@af,0/pci@1,1/ide@3/cdrom@2,0:f File and args: -s
                  Can't open boot device
                  • 6. Re: U5 wont' boot to cdrom
                    It continues to behave as a simple data disk, not a bootable disk.

By the way, if you use the -s+* command switch with a functional piece of media, you will boot to the CD's command-line environment and the installation wizard will not start.   A simple "boot cdrom" would start that installation process (which I thought you were hoping to have happen).

-----
                    Edit:

You are working with the SPARC download (not the one for x86) and you are using the CD download instead of the chunked DVD pieces?

What is the actual name of the file you hope to burn to the CD media?
                    • 7. Re: U5 wont' boot to cdrom
                      Hello,

I'm have a u5 with openbsd on it. I'm want to get opensolaris installed on it. I have the opensolaris cd, in the cdrom drive.

OpenSolaris for SPARC is only available as Automated Installer (AI) image. This is a non-bootable CD that relies on WAN boot capability (introduced with >= OBP 4.17) and an AI server.

The bootable AI image is under development. This is a link to the specification (the implementation isn't finished yet):

[http://www.opensolaris.org/os/project/caiman/Bootable_AI_Image/bootable.ai.spec.txt]

You can download Solaris 10 (CD set and DVD) or Solaris Express Community Edition (only DVD). Solaris Express Community Edition is discontinued (=not updated) after this October.

Please review the following page for OpenSolaris/SXCE details and download links [http://www.opensolaris.org/os/downloads/] .

Solaris 10 is available from the following page [http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/get.jsp]

Michael

Edited by: MAAL on 28.10.2009 18:24
                      According to a recent posting on the osol-announce mailing list, "current plan for Solaris Express Community Edition is that it will be delivered though build 131, which is scheduled for mid-January 2010."

Edited by: MAAL on 29.10.2009 07:17
                      Two day after the first announcement there was an update:

"CORRECTION:

The current plan for Solaris Express Community Edition is that it will
                      be delivered though build *130*, which is scheduled for *late-December*

--
                      Derek Cicero
                      Program Manager
                      Solaris Kernel Group, Software Division"