9 Replies Latest reply: Oct 8, 2009 4:27 AM by Darryl Burke RSS

absolutely will not boot from cd or dvd

Someone has given me a Sun Ultra 10 workstation ... problem is that no matter what I do this machine will not boot from the optical drive. Extremely fustrating. The errors I am getting are "Bad magic number in disk label" and "Can't open disk label package" and "can't open boot device".

I have tried three seperate drives, three seperate IDE ribbons, and three different disks. I have tried on both IDE channels, master and slave. The cdrom alias seems to be hard set and does not change when I change its position on the bus. A combination of devalias, probe-ide and show-disks helps. What happens when I try and boot from the correct device is that the disk spins up, I get the error(s) and thats it.

I am aware that there has been a lot of discussion about this in the past and have spent absolutely ages reading pages from google results but none of it seems to help me.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me? It would be greatly appreciated. Thank you :-)
        • 1. Re: absolutely will not boot from cd or dvd
          Hello,

unfortunately it's very likely that the system board is faulty (I assume that you use a known good CD media). I would recommend that you get the Service Manual for the Ultra 10 and a serial-console cable. This manual contains a detailed troubleshooting section.

Navigate to EOL systems in the Sun System Handbook, select the Ultra 10 page and review the Related Documentation.

The devalias for the cdrom is fixed, either use the complete device-path (from show-disks) or define a new one e.g. cdrom1 with nvalias.

This is a link that explains the procedure

http://slacksite.com/technotes/devalias.html

The Ultra 5/10 are very inexpensive today.

Michael
          • 2. Re: absolutely will not boot from cd or dvd
            The media was good. One of the disks I tried was a brand new Solaris 10 DVD. And why would I want to connect a serial cable when the monitor works fine?

I might give the troubleshooting guide a squizz some time. Thanks for the input.
            • 3. Re: absolutely will not boot from cd or dvd
              user4994457
              Personally, I've seen more CD drives from this class of machine die than motherboards. Do you know that the drive is good? If not, you might try a different drive.

--
              Darren
              • 4. Re: absolutely will not boot from cd or dvd
                Please read the original post. I tried three seperate drives, all of which are known to be working. One of them was taken straight out of my main desktop.
                • 5. Re: absolutely will not boot from cd or dvd
                  nippysaurus wrote:
                  Someone has given me a Sun Ultra 10 workstation ... problem is that no matter what I do this machine will not boot from the optical drive. Extremely fustrating. The errors I am getting are "Bad magic number in disk label" and "Can't open disk label package" and "can't open boot device".
                  Just checking that you are trying to boot from a Sparc version.

I checked what happend with boot cdrom -s on a Sun Ultra 10 from a X86 Solaris DVD and got the errors:
                  Can't read disk label.
                  Can't open disk label package

Can't open boot device
                  • 6. Re: absolutely will not boot from cd or dvd
                    Could still just be a bad drive in the Sun box. Did you change the block size when trying the other known good drives? On my old SPARC 2, I went through a similar exercise before realizing that it required a different block size setting than a standard PC CD drive... Flipped the jumper over on the drive out of my PC and it suddenly started working with the Sun box.
                    • 7. Re: absolutely will not boot from cd or dvd
                      I didn't submit this posting, but I would be interested in your findings. I have this exact situation. I'm trying to boot from dvd and it fails with this same output. When I 'probe-scsi' it shows the DVD-ROM as a Toshiba.
                      if I 'boot disk6' it gives me the label error if i 'boot cdrom' same thing:
                      Bad magic number in disk label
                      Can't open disk label package

can't open boot device

Thanks in advance for you assistance
                      • 8. Re: absolutely will not boot from cd or dvd
                        Hello,

please don't revive old threads.

Open a new thread (maybe with a link to this one) and describe your problem with more details.

The Ultra 10 uses IDE/ATA for the internal drives. probe-scsi won't help, except you use a SCSI add-in board with attached SCSI devices (e.g. DVD-ROM). The hint with the block-size applies to SCSI but not to ATA.

I will report this thread for locking.

Michael
                        • 9. Re: absolutely will not boot from cd or dvd
                          Darryl Burke
                          Locking this thread.

db