2 Replies Latest reply: Apr 2, 2010 3:02 PM by 807557 RSS

Help installing Solaris or OpenSolaris on Sun Blade 150

Hello,
      I am attempting to either install Solaris 10 or OpenSolaris on a Sun Blade 150 (UltraSPARC-IIe 650MHz)
      The Specs are as follows:
      Sun Blade 150 (UltraSPARC-IIe 650 MHz,
      1792 MB memory (no memory errors on boot)
      OpenBoot 4.6

I purchased this system used from a university surplus store. It didn't include a hard drive. I installed a 20 Gb hard disk from an old Windows 98 box. When I run the probe-ide command, it displays:
      Device 0 ( Primary Master )
      ATA Model: Maxtor 52049H3
      Device 1 ( Primary Slave )
      Removable ATAPI Model: LTN 486S
      Device 2 and 3,
      Not Present

I have attempted to burn both the x86/x64 and SPARC versions of Solaris and Open Solaris. When I run the boot cdrom command, I receive the following output:

Boot device: /pci@1f, 0/ide@d/cdrom@1, 0:f File and args:
      Can't read disk label.
      Can't open disk label package

Can't open boot device.

Thank in advance. I come from a Windows environment. I have a little bit of Linux/Unix experience but not nearly as much as I should.
        • 1. Re: Help installing Solaris or OpenSolaris on Sun Blade 150
          Hello,

... the probe-ide command, it displays:
          Device 0 ( Primary Master )
          ATA Model: Maxtor 52049H3
          Device 1 ( Primary Slave )
          Removable ATAPI Model: LTN 486S
          Device 2 and 3,
          Not Present

Both hard disk and CD-ROM drive are properly detected.

I have attempted to burn both the x86/x64 and SPARC versions of Solaris and Open Solaris.

The x86/x64 version is only for x86/x64 systems, not SPARC. The SPARC version is the correct one, but like the x86/x64 version there are only Solaris 10 DVD images available for download.
          OpenSolaris is available as CD image, but the AI images require to setup another OpenSolaris system as AI server.

When I run the boot cdrom command, I receive the following output:

Boot device: /pci@1f, 0/ide@d/cdrom@1, 0:f File and args:
          Can't read disk label.
          Can't open disk label package

Can't open boot device.

See above. You can try to use the development preview, of a text-based installer image based on build 134. This text-based installer (for OpenSolaris) will run on SPARC - even via a TTY port! This is a CD ISO file. OpenSolaris SPARC supports only a few graphic boards (the Blade 150 integrated one isn't supported) and uses a different installer.
          There is a change that the LTN-486S is malfunctioning (mine was detected by probe-ide, but couldn't read CD-ROMs).

The OpenSolaris images are located on this site GENUNIX

I would recommend to use a DVD drive either from a PC or get a new one. Solaris 10 licensing has been recently changed, it's not clear if the 90 day trial period applies to private use as well.

Michael
          • 2. Re: Help installing Solaris or OpenSolaris on Sun Blade 150
            Thanks for answering so quickly. I will try to use an image from GENUNIX and a DVD-ROM drive from another PC. Thanks Michael.