5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 7, 2010 5:04 PM by 807557 RSS

x6250 blades

I have the dongle adapter for the two blades in my chassis; how do I setup and load an OS on them, like one of the W2K8 R2 server? Do I need to located a USB DVD drive or is there a better way of doing this...?
        • 1. Re: x6250 blades
          We also have the X6250 blades and always connect an external USB DVD drive to load an OS....
          • 2. Re: x6250 blades
            I usually use set an IP for the ILOM interface of the blade and then mount an ISO-file from that.
            • 3. Re: x6250 blades
              OK, which interface is the ILOM interface, and how do we determine what the IP of it currently is, and how to set it if we don't know it. I don't know any of these questions, that's why I ask.
              • 4. Re: x6250 blades
                Basically you want to:
                1) conntect via serial interface to the CMM (chassi) ans set an IP-address of the chassi ILO.
                2) SSH to the chassi IP-address from a PC
                3) use the CLI to set the ILO IP-address of each blade
                4) From the same PC you now should be able to set surf to the CMM and each blade :)
                5) Use the redirect function available in the ILO to access the BIOS, mount an .iso image and so on...

However, start browsing the Sun supportpages for each step...

Good Luck!

I promise setting up the ILO is worth the time... at least that is my experience...

As a start this is a link to one type of blade but I think the ILO IP-address is configured in the same way on all bladetypes :
                http://dlc.sun.com/pdf/820-6175-12/820-6175-12.pdf
                • 5. Re: x6250 blades
                  I was able to connect with the serial cable, and I logged in fine, assigned an IP address and then attempted to update the ILOM from 1.1.8 to 3.1.2 and the CMM now appears dead and I cannot access it. All lights are out and it is stuck on FRUTOOL.

Any advice?