This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: May 24, 2009 4:46 PM by 795934 RSS

how to retrieve info from a XP.diskimage file

807557 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I'm running XP on a SunPVI II card on a SunBlade 1500. One of the Windows system files is corrupt and I can't boot into Windows. I no longer trust this configuration so I'd like to either retrieve my files from the XP.diskimage od copy it to a PC and get the information that way.
So ar I'm having no luck finding ANY usable information regarding this problem but I'm really hoping someone here can help out.
Thanks in advance for any and all help
Don
  • 1. Re: how to retrieve info from a XP.diskimage file
    795934 Newbie
    Not sure how to read the contents of the XP.diskimage file on a PC.

However, can you create a new XP.diskimage file, install Windows, and then map the "corrupt" XP.diskimage file as drive D on the new image to read the files?

(this allowed me to copy files from a diskimage following an upgrade from Sun PCI II to Sun PCI III)
  • 2. Re: how to retrieve info from a XP.diskimage file
    807557 Newbie
    you could try using a liveCD, such as openSolaris and mount the disk. Then insert your backup medium such as a USB drive, mount it and copy the data over. There are lots of forensic utilities to do this, such as Helix and BackTrack that should do the mounting for you automatically if you should choose to not use OpenSolaris. Another thing you can do is use dd to create an image of your drive and mount it using a utility called live view.

Hope this helps.
  • 3. Re: how to retrieve info from a XP.diskimage file
    795934 Newbie
    caddyjoe77 wrote:
    Another thing you can do is use dd to create an image of your drive
    SunPCI appears to keep it's own 1024 byte header at the start of the disk image, so this needs to be removed if the disk image is to be read on a PC.

e.g. the following copied a SunPCI III diskimage on a SunBlade 2000 to a USB SD card, which was readable when plugged into a PC:
    # /etc/init.d/volmgt stop
    # dd if=2K.diskimage of=/tmp/2K.diskimage bs=1024 skip=1
    3405780+0 records in
    3405780+0 records out
    # cp /tmp/2K.diskimage /dev/rdsk/c3t0d0s2
    (Note that dd direct to the USB SD card was only writing 100Kbytes/second, whereas cp manages to write at 700 Kbytes/second)