Ok so im very new to Sun equipment, im more of a Windows man.
So i plugged it in, used the console to set a hostname, IP, timezone etc
It had a current array, so i cleared it. I setup one in Raid 5 (1-8. 9 as hot spare)
But it says to use the format command, when i do, i get "Command not found"
So i went looking for answers, at which stage, i realised i had hooked it up wrong!
I had it with Console (Serial) and Ethernet, hoping to access the array via ethernet and send & recieve data from ethernet. But from my research i found that is not the case!
So at this stage, i have it in a situation where it says the volume is there, and i have initialised it, but i dont know how to access it (any thoughts appreciated)
Now to my questions......
I can use Google, but i just want some confirmation:
1) Does the T3+ need to be connected to a server by Fibre to access it, or can it be used by ethernet alone
1a) Can it be connected to a media converter - fibre to Ethernet? or a Switch with a fibre port?
1b) If it does need to be by fibre, can it be linked to a Sun Sunfire V100 (Me thinks not because of lack of expansion ports)
1c) What about a IBM eServer x330 running CentOS
1d) Windows server 2003? (Last resort!)
2) If fibre is the way to go... can ANY fibre card be used that will work with whatever OS is recommended or does it have to be a specific card
3) Does anyone know of any basic resources that i can read to set this up
4) Should that format command work?
Im sorry, as i said im new to Sun stuff!, so please be gentle.... Please?
I think they are all my questions.....
Yes, i did read the manual
I know it says it must be connected by fibre to the data host, i was asking if there was any posibility it could be done by Ethernet and also why some of my commands were not working
1) T3+ can ONLY be connected using fibre, the ethernet are only for "console"
2) The T3+ is ok with all the hba I had tried so far, just check that the card you buy is compatibile with your OS of choise
3) The T3 part is done - from you post - so now we are on the OS side
4) format is for solaris
bye bye and have fun
Thats what i thought, but you know what they say: If you don't know, ask!
Thanks heaps Frank_Contrepois
I ended up getting a Sun card off ebay that said it was compatible, hopefully it will arrive this week and we will see how i go then.
I thought the T3+ would have a stripped down version of things, but i couldnt quite figure out why things werent working, now i know lol