1 Reply Latest reply: Apr 22, 2010 2:58 PM by user4994457 RSS

how to?: boot cdrom/backup the "meta device" system partition

I have been booting of of cdrom and using ufsdump to back up /, /usr, /var, etc for years... but have never figured out how to do this when these unmountable filesystems are metadevices. Here is my configuration

md/dsk/d30 --> /
      md/dsk/m36 --> /usr
      md/dsk/m37 --> /opt

md30 is mirror of d10(c0t0d0s0)/d20(c0t1d0s0)
      m36 is mirror of d16(c0t0d0s6)/d26(c0t1d0s6)
      m37 is mirror of d17(c0t0d0s7)/d27(c0t1d0s7)

Do you just

1) boot off of cdrom (os install 1/2)
      2) ufsdump of /0f - /dev/rdsk/cNtNdNsN | ...

like you would for "normal" ufs devces, and then

3) boot normally
      4) find and dd(1M) a backup copy of the "state db replica"
      5) back up the disksuite (text) config files (/etc/system, /etc/lvm/mddb.cf, /etc/lvm/db.cf).

Yes, I tried to find this info (searched here, googled elsewhere) but all I could find was the "init 1" and then "ufsdump /dev/md/dsk/dNN" appoach.

Thanks.
        • 1. Re: how to?: boot cdrom/backup the "meta device" system partition
          user4994457
          Grandpaferret wrote:
          I have been booting of of cdrom and using ufsdump to back up /, /usr, /var, etc for years... but have never figured out how to do this when these unmountable filesystems are metadevices.
          If they're just mirrors, backing up one side is probably the easiest way. If they're not mirrors, this is going to be very difficult to do.
          Do you just

1) boot off of cdrom (os install 1/2)
          2) ufsdump of /0f - /dev/rdsk/cNtNdNsN | ...

like you would for "normal" ufs devces, and then
          That's valid.
          3) boot normally
          4) find and dd(1M) a backup copy of the "state db replica"
          What would you do with such data in the future? You can't restore it.
          5) back up the disksuite (text) config files (/etc/system, /etc/lvm/mddb.cf, /etc/lvm/db.cf).
          That's probably the best. /etc/system doesn't seem especially useful either. You're not going to use the contents to drive a new installation.

In any restore situation, you're going to have to use some other method to partition the drives and create filesystems. You're then going to have to restore data, then clean /etc/vfstab and /etc/system to boot from your restored slice, not any metadevices. You'd then do a new SVM configuration from scratch and set up the mirrors.

Having a copy of /etc/lvm/md.tab or /etc/lvm/md.cf can give you guides to what your configuration should look like, but you're not going to directly restore it.

--
          Darren