This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 23, 2009 11:21 AM by user219191 RSS

"prtdiag" reports Failed status after replacing Fan Assembly Sun v240

807567 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Dear IT Experts,

Kindly need for any suggestion. I got a problem when changing Fan Assembly for Sun Fire v240.
I have bought a new Fan Assembly and I have checked that its have same P/N with the old one which is need to be replaced.
While the new fan is installed, I got "Failed" status for Fan 2 and Fan 3 in "prtdiag" command (even though when I look physically, the fan is working (rotating) , but the system report it as "Failed" status). But, If I installed the old Fan Assembly, I did not get any failed status. All the Fan Assembly status is OK. (My Bos told me to replace the Fan because we have bought a new one even though the old one is still OK)

I did not know how can it be? what is wrong? Is there any missing configuration that I must do for this new Fan Assembly?

Kindly need for any suggestion , please.....

Thanks
-

-Feri
  • 1. Re: "prtdiag" reports Failed status after replacing Fan Assembly Sun v240
    user219191 Newbie
    Why would you replace a good fan just because you have another (which seems to be DOA)?

Return the "new" fan or throw it away.
  • 2. Re: "prtdiag" reports Failed status after replacing Fan Assembly Sun v240
    807567 Newbie
    Dear wrobbins,

Actually, the background why we change the good fan because at the first time, the system report "Failed" on the "prtdiag" for Fan Tray status. But, we tried to unplug and plug the fan again, and it worked. Because this machine is a production machine, we was afraid and my boss decide to buy a new one and replace it.

I have tried to install another fan, but the problem still occur. "prtdiag" on the system still report "Failed" status on Fan 2 and Fan 3. But physically all fans (fan 1, fan 2, fan 3 are swing / rotating).

Wrobbins2, would you mind giving me your advise, please? for the real Part Number Fan Tray Assembly Sun Fire v240.

Actually I have taken any picture between the old fan and the new fan. How can sent the picture to this forum especially for you, so I can get your suggestion according to this fan , please??

Thank you for your help. I am really...really appreciate it

regards,

Ferianto
  • 3. Re: "prtdiag" reports Failed status after replacing Fan Assembly Sun v240
    user219191 Newbie
    from Sun Fire™ V210 and V240 Servers Product Notes

"Cooling Fans in the V240 Server
    The cooling fans have changed in the Sun Fire V240 server. The fans are now a single
    unit. The older cooling fans cannot be replaced individually. For more information,
    refer to the Sun Fire V240 Fan Removal and Replacement Guide (819-1147)."

though I can't seem to find that document in SunSolve or Google search, sorry.