5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2009 2:30 PM by wgkorb-JavaNet

WS7u6 on Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala?

wgkorb-JavaNet
      Hello,

I just upgraded one of my machines to Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala. Unfortunately, it appears as though WS7u6 will not run on Karmic (although it ran fine for me on 8.04, 8.10, and 9.04). When I try to start it, I see this error:
      28$ bin/startserv
      parsexml: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
      Karmic includes libstdc++.so.6, and there does not appear to be a version 5 of these libs available:
      23# apt-get install libstdc++5
      Reading package lists... Done
      Building dependency tree       
      Reading state information... Done
      E: Couldn't find package libstdc++5
      I have referred to the WS7 wiki (wiki) as well as Meena Vyas's blog (blog). None of the information in either of these articles appears to be helpful.

Has anyone else tried installing WS7 on Karmic? Any luck?

Thanks,
      Bill
        • 1. Re: WS7u6 on Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala?
          I am downloading Ubuntu 9.10 and testing it. Will let you know in a day.
          • 2. Re: WS7u6 on Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala?
            I can see the same problem. I see you have posted this question in Ubuntu forum as well [http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=855603]. I have filed a bug in Web Server # 6899264.

A lot of people are facing the same issues for other software as well and they have installed libstdc++5 from jaunty or debian. Refer [http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1282957]
            • 3. Re: WS7u6 on Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala?
              wgkorb-JavaNet
              OK, I found a workaround in the Ubuntu bug comments: [comment8|https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ia32-libs/+bug/431091/comments/8] - this describes how to install a previous version of the 32bit library. However, that didn't fix the problem. I then used comment #11 from that same bug report as a model to download and install the 64-bit version of the needed library from Debian. Here are my steps:
              # wget http://ftp.egr.msu.edu/debian/pool/main/g/gcc-3.3/libstdc++5_3.3.6-18_amd64.deb
              # dpkg-deb -x libstdc++5_3.3.6-18_amd64.deb libstdc++5
              # cp -p libstdc++5/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5.0.7 /usr/lib
              After doing this, I was then able to start the admin server and my development instance.

Thanks,
              Bill
              • 4. Re: WS7u6 on Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala?
                Just out of curiosity, was the web server already installed when you made the upgrade, or was it a fresh install of the op system and web server? On a Debian minimal install, we usually face that issue getting the installer to work, but I do not think it is supposed to be a problem once it is installed, because the web server does not need that to run according to another blog. I cannot seem to find the link at the moment.

I usually run: apt-get install ia32-libs libstdc++5 to get the installer to work, and never have a problem after that.

Did you install your files and then run the installer again? Or did you install your files and then just start the web server up?

Thanks,

TonyZ
                • 5. Re: WS7u6 on Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala?
                  wgkorb-JavaNet
                  It was a fresh install of the OS, but the web server installation was already there (hence, I did not have to run the installer). I can tell you that the problem was simply starting the server, and I could not get it to start until I implemented the work-around I posted earlier.

I tried apt-get libstdc++5, but that package doesn't exist (at the moment) for Karmic. Because there is an open bug against Karmic on this issue (which effects other third party software, too) that may change.
                  8# dpkg -l |egrep 'ia32|libstdc++'
                  ii  ia32-libs        2.7ubuntu17      ia32 shared libraries for use on amd64 and ia64 
                  ii  libstdc++6       4.4.1-4ubuntu8   The GNU Standard C++ Library v3
                  9# apt-get install libstdc++5
                  Reading package lists... Done
                  Building dependency tree       
                  Reading state information... Done
                  E: Couldn't find package libstdc++5
                  Thanks,
                  Bill