This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply: Apr 25, 2013 5:12 AM by user13069660 Go to original post RSS
  • 15. Re: 500 errors that do not match with application server
    807567 Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated
    Hmmm, ok, I really don't think Elving's hypothesis is correct as I just attempted to simulate what he described:

1) Click on a link that takes at least 15-20 seconds to return.
    2) Click on the "Stop" button after 10 seconds of waiting.
    3) Click on the same link again to simulate user impatiently re-clicking on the link.

Also tried re-clicking on the link without clicking Stop.

In all these cases, the HTTP 500 on the web server did not occur. Sometimes the request would appear in the app server's log signifying that the the app server managed to return the response before I clicked on Stop but most of the time not.
  • 16. Re: 500 errors that do not match with application server
    807567 Newbie
    BTW, yes I'm using 7.0u2.
  • 17. Re: 500 errors that do not match with application server
    800484 Newbie
    While I wait for Elving to reply for the rest. Its been our experience that Elving is 99.9% right :-) so you can trust what he says.

( P/s you do not need to disable keep alive if you are using 7.0u2 ruled out one problem I was thinking.)

I will reply to this:
    Is it possible for the web server to record how long it took for the request to be processed?
    You need to enable monitoring for this :
    http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/820-1067/abyag?a=view
    http://blogs.sun.com/basant/entry/sun_java_system_web_server

This will show average request processing time for all requests.

For one specific request I am not sure...

Hunting for answer will let you know..
  • 18. Re: 500 errors that do not match with application server
    807567 Newbie
    Ok, looks like Elving is probably right. Earlier this afternoon (in the +0800 timezone), I had been trying out the role of an impatient user using Firefox over the cor. I did not manage to simulate the HTTP 500 responses.

Just now though, I managed to get a colleague to do the same using IE with a home ADSL account. And waddaya know, he managed to simulate the errors. It's not consistent though. Even if his action sequences were roughly equal, over 20 iterations, we only manage to simulate the error 5 times.

So I take back my words, Elving, sorry :)

But is this supposed to be how the logs reflect this behavior? It doesn't seem entirely logical to me. I can understand a Bad Gateway response, but an Internal Server Error?
  • 19. Re: 500 errors that do not match with application server
    807567 Newbie
    You can add %duration% to the log format if you're interested in how long it took to process the request. %duration% records the processing time in microseconds.

(Note that a difference of 1 second between log entry timestamps does not necessarily indicate that precisely 1 second elapsed between the two events. The difference between the two could be as little as a single clock tick or as large as 1.999... seconds.)
  • 20. Re: 500 errors that do not match with application server
    user13069660 Newbie
    Hello Wong,

Is this issue resolved? We have faced a similar issue with the same error (below) showing up in the error logs of the Webserver.

service-http reports: HTTP7763: client disconnected before remote server responded

We were able to troubleshoot this successfully.

Best Regards,
    Saif.
1 2 Previous Next