This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 8, 2009 12:55 PM by 807567 RSS

Utilization graphs within SCM 4.0 not updating.

807567 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
The utilization graphs within SCM 4.0 Java Web Console for Container Manager are not updating. They are currently displaying the initial message regarding "Unable to display graphs, Daily graphs need up to 2 hours to be generated. Weekly graphs need up to 24-48 hours to be generated." I checked the release notes for SMC 4.0 and the re-posting of the individual frame as it states in these rel notes did not fix the issue. Is anyone else currently experiencing this?

I currently have SMC 4.0 installed with the add-on of SCM 4.0 server, console and agent within a whole root zone within a Fuji 650 Running Solaris 10 update 4. Several agents are also installed across many different platforms all running Solaris 10 update 4 with SMC 4.0 base and SCM 4.0 add-on.
  • 1. Re: Utilization graphs within SCM 4.0 not updating.
    MikeKirk Newbie
    Hi Bashusr,
    bashusr wrote:
    The utilization graphs within SCM 4.0 Java Web Console for Container Manager are not updating. They are currently displaying the initial message regarding "Unable to display graphs, Daily graphs need up to 2 hours to be generated. Weekly graphs need up to 24-48 hours to be generated."
    SCM's graphs rely on an underlying SunMC feature called "Performance Reporting Manager" (PRM). It's PRMs job to periodically talk to your Agents (in your case, the Agents running in the Global zones) and grab data from them to store in its central database... then it generates graphs on-demand to be shown in SCMs web interface.

So, you need to see if PRM is working. Login to the SunMC Java Console, then select "Tools" --> "Report Manager...". When the new window opens click "Data" --> "Data Availability...".

In the top frame of the Data Availability window will be a list of your SunMC Agents. First make sure the Agent from the Global Zone you're trying to graph in SCM is on the list. Then check if its timestamp in the "Data Last Collected" field is fresh (ideally within the last hour: it checks every hour).

If your Agent is listed, and has a recent timestamp. click on its row and the bottom frame will fill in with all the numbers SunMC is collecting for that system. If SCM was installed on that Agent you should see rows with "scm-container" in the "Module Name" field. If so, then everything should "just work"

I'm guessing something has failed for you: in which case you need to get the generic PRM bits working first before you can expect to see graphs in PRM.

Regards,

Mike.Kirk@HalcyonInc.com
    http://www.HalcyonInc.com
    New !! : http://forums.HalcyonInc.com !!
  • 2. Re: Utilization graphs within SCM 4.0 not updating.
    807567 Newbie
    Thanks.

See that the Performance Reporting Manager bits are an add-on to the base components. I am adding this now.

Hmmmm, never saw this documented as a dependency. Wondering what else I am suppose to have installed?

Will re-post with results.
  • 3. Re: Utilization graphs within SCM 4.0 not updating.
    807567 Newbie
    After successfully adding PRM add-on to server and agent, do not see anything for PRM under Tools. Just have the Register item. Are there entries needed within RBAC for providing access?
  • 4. Re: Utilization graphs within SCM 4.0 not updating.
    807567 Newbie
    I too have only the register line under Tools. I opened the jnlp from the registration link and registered however I still don't see the perf. reporting tool.
  • 5. Re: Utilization graphs within SCM 4.0 not updating.
    807567 Newbie
    Same problem here.
    Any idea what I need to do to fix this problem?