This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Feb 25, 2010 11:32 PM by 807567 RSS

Easiest way to get patches

807567 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
A couple of years ago we started using Solaris 11/06. We were able to fairly easily setup smpatch and perform the patches. For a while it worked beautifully.

Now, everytime we setup a new server, the patching seems to be harder to implement. Right now I am again unable to get patches via smpatch, and I quite honestly frustrated beyond belief. I can't even register the system at this point, and I'm using credentials that are being used by our other systems that do manage to work correctly.

I've spent hours manually adding patches and packages, restarting different services, trying to register with sconadm again and again, logging in to sunsolve.sun.com to approve a new agreement with oracle, checking java versions, checking to make sure different packages are installed, only to have it fail again, this time with a more obscure message. I tried pca. It won't download anything. Everything comes back 403. I again checked the credentials. They still match other servers currently able to receive patches.

What is the easiest way to get patches to a Solaris 10 11/06 server without having to spend hours manually resolving dependencies (which I thought smpatch was supposed to solve but doesn't appear to work reliably).

I just need something I can run that will figure out what is on the server, what it needs, and then download and install them.
  • 1. Re: Easiest way to get patches
    807567 Newbie
    If you need to get the system patched quickly, then try downloading a patch cluster from sunsolve. Alternatively you could configure one of the working systems as a Local Patch/Proxy Server (LPS) and configure the other systems as clients.

It sounds like there may be an entitlements issue with your contract, so I would recommend that you open as support case to get this checked.
  • 2. Re: Easiest way to get patches
    807567 Newbie
    Boingo wrote:
    I tried pca. It won't download anything. Everything comes back 403. I again checked the credentials. They still match other servers currently able to receive patches.
    403 means that SunSolve thinks that your Sun Online Account is not connected to a support contract (which is required to download any patch after a recent change in Oracle's patch policy for Solaris). It has happened in the past that SunSolve "forgets" about connected contracts, but I've never received a report that pca works on one system and returns 403's on another when the same SOA is used.

Anyway - this isn't the forum for PCA, I recommend subscribing to its mailing list if you want follow this route further.

Martin.