I recently installed the Sun Connection on a Solaris 9 setup. I had to load JDK 1.5.0_12 packages and then install the Sun Connection products.
I was able to finally see that "updatemanager" is present. It worked great. It accepted by contract information. I tried to load five security patches including a kernel patch. It worked. After the reboot however, the updatemanager GUI only reports the dialog box "unknown subcommand getdocument". While it invokes, it no longer has information. I have experimented with JAVA settings and path statements. What can I do next?
The install was downloaded from a Sun site and it says Sun Connection Update Manager v1.0.10 - 22 August 2007 from the README. What can be done to get "updatemanager" to invoke again and not abort so early in the analysis?
With Solaris 9, I had two different versions of JAVA JDK. I changed the symbolic file "/usr/java" to point to "/usr/jdk/latest". This has the 1.5 JDK support. I received assistance from a JAVA programmer who pointed out that the version was inconsistent. He suggested that I could change the profile as well. By default, the java version used are the "SUNWj5*" packages that were recently installed.
The updatemanager now works even between reboots. This is good news. I have always wanted "updatemanager" GUI working with the Solaris 9 environment.
While I can get the Sun Connection product to work, I have always had to uninstall and re-install it to get the command "updatemanager" to permanently work. I did not read the notes but here are actions I took to get the install to work:
1. Install the SUNWj5* binaries (I used the pkgadd tar.Z selections)
2. Point the symbolic link "/usr/java" to "/usr/jdk/latest"
3. Install the Sun Connection product
4. Invoke and register it.
5. Try to install some hard patches and reboot it as expected
6. Invoke it again to see if it has version problems (always does)
7. Run the "/var/update_connection/uninstall" script and then run the installation all over again
8. Now the command "updatemanager" is in sync and it works with different rounds of patching
This workaround worked perfectly for me on Solaris 9. The initial install of updatemanager was fine , patching went smoothly, reboot was fine but I was unable to run updatemanager after that. The step of un-installing and re-install update_connection software fixed my "unknown subcommand getdocument" errors.