4 Replies Latest reply: Feb 5, 2010 6:14 AM by 807567 RSS

sunos 5.6 3/98

Hi Folks,

We've got a dead sparcstation2 that was running SunOS 5.6. We've got an Ultra 10 that may be a substitute. Gonna boot off CD, then restore from local tape.

The exact version of the dead box is unknown:

dscx150 $ cat /etc/release
      cat: cannot open /etc/release
      dscx150 $ uname -a
      SunOS xyxyxyxy 5.6 Generic_105181-03 sun4c sparc SUNW,Sun_4_75 dscx150 $

Sunsolve says that ultra 10s need 5.6. release 3/98 or later. Is 3/98 the first release of 5.6? If not, does Generic_105181-03 translate to something newer than 3/98?

Thank you all.
        • 1. Re: sunos 5.6 3/98
          Others will hopefully be able to add more, but at least a few comments...

The 3/98 Release of Solaris 2.6 was required to have compatibility with the PCI bus architecture that appeared in the later designs of UltraSPARC-II series of desktops and small servers. ( Same as the requirement that if the OS of choice was 2.5.1, it had to be the November 1997 Release. )

I "think" that your 105181-03 patch level is too early to be the 3/98 release.
          [http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=solaris+2.6+release+history.&aq=f&aqi=&oq=&fp=531027be87a71398|http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=solaris+2.6+release+history.&aq=f&aqi=&oq=&fp=531027be87a71398]
          [http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/solaris/versions/|http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/solaris/versions/]

It may be necessary for you to haunt Ebay for some new installation media.
          • 2. Re: sunos 5.6 3/98
            user4994457
            It is just possible to use pre-3/98 media to boot the Ultra 10, but you'd have to:

- Use the media to create a network install server
            - Patch the install server with the PCI support patches
            - Install Solaris on the Ultra 10 from netboot server
            - Manually patch the server after installation and before the first reboot

Unfortunately, I don't recall off the top of my head which patches are necessary. When the Ultra 10 shipped, it came with a CD that had the patches necessary to do this. You probably can't shotgun it either. I had back luck trying to apply all the 2.6 patches to the netboot image and have it work.

On the whole, getting a later set of media is going to be easier, but it is somewhat possible even if you don't.

--
            Darren
            • 3. Re: sunos 5.6 3/98
              I "think" that your 105181-03 patch level is too early to be the 3/98 release.
              This is Solaris 2.6 HW 3/98 without any kernel patch applied and indeed lacks the support for the Ultra 10. The installation procedure is to boot from the "Operating Environment Installation CD February 2000 (704-7076-10)", this loads a Solaris 7 kernel and then requests the original Solaris 2.6 HW 3/98 installation media to continue the installation.

Regarding the plan to use the installation of the SS2 with an U10: Yesterday I tried to re-use a Solaris 10 installation (36GB disk) from a F280R on a V480 and failed badly. Even after cloning the device-tree from the CD boot to the disk, it didn't work properly. This was a test system and the time spent didn't matter.

I would suggest to install a later release and just restore the data/applications.

Michael

The procedure is only required for processor speeds of 419 MHz or faster. Solaris 2.6 HW 3/98 supports the Ultra 10 with upto 400 MHz CPU modules.
              I once compiled a spreadsheet with the intial kernel patch levels of various Solaris releases. The information was obtained from the berkely site, InfoDoc 46808, a list someone compiled on a german website and by booting the install media. I lost interest in compiling this sheet. Last release added was Solaris 10 11/06.
              Edited by: MAAL on 12.01.2010 07:41

Edited by: MAAL on 12.01.2010 08:10
              • 4. Re: sunos 5.6 3/98
                Thanks to Michael, Darren and Rukbat for their answers.

Gave up on restoring from tape, in the face of zillions of block errors.

Part of the application-bits simply refused to install on 5.8. If the installer had been a script, we could have monkeyed around, but it was binary. :-(

One of us found a 5.6 CD in the shed at home, and we installed that okay onto an E250.

Then the only hard bit was reading the app install instructions, which were in some 15-year-old non-ascii, non-ebcdic proprietary 'text' format. Gave up and went cap in hand to the vendors.

Moral of the story? Print everything, keep everything. There is wisdom in clutter.

thanks again.