4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 28, 2007 12:54 PM by 807574

Portal Server SE for Database search

Hello,
      I want to configure my portal server search engine for searching inside the database table column.
      did someone try it earlier?
      please give me some directions so that my portal SE could search the content inside the database table

Thanks,
      jenni
        • 1. Re: Portal Server SE for Database search
          The search component inside Portal uses the 'old' compass search engine.

*Standard this will index filesystem or URL's.
          *I guess that for the discussion provider they used the API to allow them to do something like a database (but not in a standard way like SQL databases).
          *In the same way you probably could make a java thing that reads a record from a table, let the compass index this and then add the URL as a field to that index record.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
          • 2. Re: Portal Server SE for Database search
            Oh thanks,
            I thought it might be out of the box solution from the sun one portal server.
            ya for Discussion Forum it is saving it in the LDAP which i have seen in some ldif files in the discussions folder.
            Ok i will try this.
            Thanks
            jenni
            • 3. Re: Portal Server SE for Database search
              I doubt it is saving things in the LDAP. It is saving this in the searchengine to my knowledge.
              • 4. Re: Portal Server SE for Database search
                should i use Search Server Java SDK,
                and create a search object
                to handle database search.
                w.r.t->http://docs.sun.com/source/819-4157/SEJSDK-ch2.html#wp21478
                please confirm if my approach is right.
                does portal server7 support direct database handling..?