1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply: May 26, 2007 10:45 AM by 793959 Go to original post RSS
      • 15. Re: update 6
        I have now discovered how to create adabas database files - in the database wizard choose connect to an existing database and then select adabas, then browse for the name of a database to connect to and select to create a new database. It seems that you then open the file in SO Base, but get some extra funcionality, and wonder what purpose it would serve?

I did all this as an experiment and then found that I could not delete the adabas installation folder into which the new files were placed. I have therefore uninstalled adabas (since I actively dislike programs that make files undeletable) and deleted as much of the installation folder as possible. Attempts at deletion produce an error message that the file is in use, but finally I was able to delete the files after restarting the computer.
        • 16. Re: update 6
          Saturday, May 26, 2007
          I have now discovered how to create adabas database
          files - in the database wizard choose connect to an
          existing database and then select adabas, then browse
          for the name of a database to connect to and select
          to create a new database. It seems that you then
          open the file in SO Base, but get some extra
          funcionality, and wonder what purpose it would
          serve?
          If my memory is working, acabas was included with SO7 as the base program which OOo 1.1.x lacked. I use Sidekick for Windows for my database files, so cannot really comment on using SO databases. I suspect the files are still around with SO8 for compatibility purposes.
          I did all this as an experiment and then found that I
          could not delete the adabas installation folder into
          which the new files were placed. I have therefore
          uninstalled adabas (since I actively dislike programs
          that make files undeletable) and deleted as much of
          the installation folder as possible. Attempts at
          deletion produce an error message that the file is in
          use, but finally I was able to delete the files after
          restarting the computer.
          Because of SO Quick Start, drives and and files can be locked. If you can recognize the programs causing the lock, the Windows Task Manager can "kill" them. Otherwise one has to reboot.

Phil
          1 2 Previous Next