Under CDE, I set keyboardFocusPolicy resource to "pointer" so the keyboard input is always sent to the window that currently contains the mouse pointer. It does not work any more in JDS GNOME metacity. There is no such setting in gconf! Now, my X application always lost the keyboard input focus to any new window.
Please help me to get my keyboard focus back so my typing won't be disrupted by this annoying behavior in GNOME metacity! Thanks.
As you've discovered, metacity in JDS 3 is a pretty basic window manager. It does have one or two more options than are presented in the Window Preferences GUI, though-- fire up gconf-editor, and look at the options in the various categories under /apps/metacity.
However, if none of these work for you, then your only other option really is to try a different window manager-- there are a few others around that will work just fine with JDS/GNOME, such as sawfish or enlightenment, although Solaris 10 packages may be hard to come by so you might have to build your own. (http://blastwave.org would probably be a good place to look for packages first, though.)
Thanks for your reply.
It turns out that this is the behavior of metacity 2.8.0 that bundled with Solaris 10 x86.
I wonder if I can download a pre-built version of newer metacity software somewhere? I have a SunFire V20z (dual AMD cpu's) with Solaris 10 OS.
http://blastwave.org look like they have metacity v2.14, but they use their own packaging system (apt) which would likely pull in a lot of dependencies, and you may not consider it worth the hassle just for this feature.
Not sure where you might find a pre-built SVR4 package of a newer version, I'm afraid... to minimize the number of dependencies, you might be best off trying to build it yourself anyway. (If nothing else, newer versions of metacity are likely to depend on a newer version of gtk+, and/or possibly libgnome.)
I modified metacity 2.8.0 not to grant focus to new window. However, I wonder what option Sun uses to build metacity in Solaris 10. I used default settings while running configure, then built using Sun Studio 12.1 and my metacity bin is 2056308 vs the original bin size of 828436.