1 Reply Latest reply: Jun 4, 2009 6:15 AM by 807578 RSS

Gnome2 blank screen after login?

Hi,

I'm running Solaris 10 on an Enterprise 420r SPARC server connected to a Sun Ray system.

I don't know how or why but all of a sudden I don't seem to be able to login any more; the screen just goes black after Nautilus appears on the startup procedure!

The same thing seems to happen with all users that are on the system :(

I'm wondering what I could do to fix or information I could provide for someone to help me fix it?

Basically I'm quite new to Solaris been using for only say 4 months now, so I'm not that knowledgeable about where to look and to debug the system yet!

I took a look at the patches for Solaris 10 but I have no idea what to apply or even what they were to be honest and I also checked out /var/adm/messages and /var/log which also revealed nothing.

The SRSS web console's log gave me a hint that I was experiencing PAPI and APOC errors of which a bit of Google'ing lead me to believe that I needed to uninstall: SUNWmozapoc-adapter and comment out the lines in /etc/gconf/2/path regarding APOC. Sure enough this got rid of the error but I still can't log in :(

Has anyone encountered this before or can anyone help me?

Many thanks in advance!
        • 1. Re: Gnome2 blank screen after login?
          I guess I will have to format the system and rebuild it again :-( if no one knows what's going on.... or can help me try to understand what's going on so that I know where to look in order to try and fix it.

As stated previously the only places I know that contain log files are /var/log or /var/adm. If I have some 3rd party software most likely like blastwave or the SRSS it will be in /opt/.../log - I can get that far!

I think I will try installing SXCE on it and attempt to get SRSS and Raid Manager 6.2 working with that, however if not successful I will have to revert back to Solaris 10 then there's always the the issue of having the same problem again........ oh well.