8 Replies Latest reply: Feb 16, 2008 6:25 PM by 807581 RSS

Updating from Forte 3.0.N.2 to UDS

Hi everybody,
      We have our current application runing on Forte 3.0.N.2 and we wanted to update our system to UDS 5.0.
      and expose some of our services.
      Can you please let me know.
      1. what are the important steps that i should take care before migrating to UDS?
      2. Can any body specify me, what are the most positive things about UDS compared to other versions of Forte. (so that when i migrate to UDS, i enhance my application to use them.)
      3. Documents and links related to UDS.

Thanks in advance.
      Srikanth Koppisetty
        • 1. Re: Updating from Forte 3.0.N.2 to UDS
          First of all, I would like to suggest you to migrate to UDS 5.03 which is the latest version of Forte (UDS 5.01+ServicePack 1).

1.Regarding your question #1, SUN will probably provide you with a migration procedure document. It is very clear and details step by step what you need to do, depending on the platform you work with. So, I would suggest you to call your SUN Rep to get a copy.

2. Some of the things UDS now dows better:
          - XML Processing
          - XSLT Transformation
          - Reflection capabilities
          - LDAP access
          - SOAP cabailities for UDS Service Objects.
          - Generation of Java proxies for accessing your UDS service Objects exposed as a SOAP Server.
          and so on...

3. Certification Matrix = http://docs.sun.com/db/doc/816-6317-10

Other info = http://docs.sun.com/db/prod/4217#hic

Hope this helps...
          • 2. Re: Updating from Forte 3.0.N.2 to UDS
            If you are on a HP platform, then you should go to UDS 5.0.9 which is a patch release. It has some bug fixes for HP UX
            • 3. Re: Updating from Forte 3.0.N.2 to UDS
              Hi everybody,
              We have our current application runing on Forte 3.0.M.2 and we wanted to update our system to UDS 5.0.3

Can you please let me know.
              what are the important steps that i should take care before migrating to UDS?
              we have our clients running on Windows 98 and Windows 2000 and our server is on SUN Solaris 7 32bits.
              • 4. Re: Updating from Forte 3.0.N.2 to UDS
                Newbee to UDS. Does UDS require C++ compiler for autocompile or for any compilation of the code generated..thanks in advance for your help
                • 5. Re: Updating from Forte 3.0.N.2 to UDS
                  Yes,

if you marked one of your partition as C++ generated you also need to load and install the ad hoc fort� apps (autocomp & codegene) thru the eConsole to get it working.

Be sure you're using the proper version of the C++ compiler (see the Forte 4gl certification matrix).
                  • 6. Re: Updating from Forte 3.0.N.2 to UDS
                    please excuse if I am repeating myself...if I check only Compiled and not the Generate C++ Api (for a compiled partition), I don't need the C++ compiler installed.. it is a bit confusing for me because the code generator does seem to generate some .cc files.. just wondering how this does get compiled without a C++ compiler..thanks again
                    • 7. Re: Updating from Forte 3.0.N.2 to UDS
                      There is no need to select code generator unless you plan on compiling to the platform specific executables.

Without a C++ compile that is compatible with UDS you will not be able to compile the files after you generate the code.

If you select both code generate and compile, then UDS will automatically call the correct compiler calls to compile the generated code into machine dependent files.

ka
                      • 8. Re: Updating from Forte 3.0.N.2 to UDS
                        Apologies if I got you confused.

If you checked "Compiled" on a Fort� partition your TOOL code will be translated into C++ and during a second phase the .cc & .cdf files compiled.

So you are correct you don't need a C++ compiler to generate the C++ files, but the bunch of files produced still need a C++ compiler to be compiled into a platform dependant executable (usually a .so , .a or .dll file).

The generate C++ API option allows for an SO in a "compiled partition" to be called from a C++ application (it generates a couple of extra files to be used as include & source)

So running the compile scripts over the weekend ... I sympathise, I wish I were down the pub.

Cheers,
                        B.