This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 5, 2008 2:19 PM by 807581 RSS

Default domain not created upon installation of Sun application server 8.1

807581 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi experts,

I'm trying to install Sun application server 8.1 on Solaris 8. After installation the summary and installation logs say everything was succesfull but that is not the case. For some reason it is not installing the default domain 'domain1'.

Some strange facts:

When using command ./asadmin start-domain, I'm getting the following error:

Domain directory /var/appserver/domains is not a directory or does not exist. CLI156 Could not start the domain undefined.

That the domain its self won't start is not very strange because there is no domain (in /var/opt/SUNWappserver/domains/) but what is strange is that the error is talking about /var/appserver/domains and I'm wondering where it is getting from during installation (it suppose it is set in asenv.conf during installation).

So, what I did is changing the AS_DEF_DOMAINS_PATH variable in the asenv.conf to the /var/opt/SUNWappserver/domains directory and try to create the domain manually with the following command:
./asadmin create-domain domaindir /var/opt/SUNWappserver/domains/ adminport 4848 --adminuser admin domain1

Then it reports an error

java.io.FileNotFoundException: /opt/SUNWappserver/appserver/lib/install/templates/default-domain.xml.template (No such file or directory)

So, for some reason it is not installing the default domain domain1 or related files needed to create the domain manually. Besides, it's not setting some variables defined in asenv.conf correctly.

Who has an idea what could be the problem or what I am doing wrong!
  • 1. Re: Default domain not created upon installation of Sun application server 8.1
    807581 Newbie
    Looks like the installation of binaries was not successful. This could happen if the previous installation was not cleanedup properly. Is this an installation through Java Enterprise System OR standalone application server installation?
  • 2. Re: Default domain not created upon installation of Sun application server 8.1
    807581 Newbie
    That was done using the installation of the Enterpsrise server edition.

When uninstalling the Appserver I have:

- removed all related packages
    - deleted the /opt/SUNWappserver directory
    - deleted the /var/opt/SUNWappserver directory
    - deleted productregistry in the /var/sadm directory
  • 3. Re: Default domain not created upon installation of Sun application server 8.1
    807581 Newbie
    can u please check if any of the Application Server package still remains in the system by running 'pkginfo | grep SUNWas'
  • 4. Re: Default domain not created upon installation of Sun application server
    807581 Newbie
    I have the same problem during installation of the Sun Java System Application Server Enterprise Edition. The config log shows (see below) and what I noticed is that folders created during installation are /opt/SUNWappserver/appserver/lib/install/templates/ee which is where default-domain.xml.template is stored as opposed to /opt/SUNWappserver/appserver/lib/install/templates/ where "ee" is missing.

Any pointers you can give?

Output Log:
    Using default port 7,676 for JMS.
    Using default port 3,700 for IIOP.
    Using default port 3,820 for IIOP_SSL.
    Using default port 3,920 for IIOP_MUTUALAUTH.
    java.io.FileNotFoundException: /opt/SUNWappserver/appserver/lib/install/templates/default-domain.xml.template (No such file or directory)

Error Log:
    at java.io.FileInputStream.open(Native Method)
    at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(FileInputStream.java:106)
    at java.io.FileReader.<init>(FileReader.java:55)
    at com.sun.enterprise.admin.util.LineTokenReplacer.replace(LineTokenReplacer.java:41)
    at com.sun.enterprise.admin.servermgmt.RepositoryManager.generateFromTemplate(RepositoryManager.java:274)
    at com.sun.enterprise.admin.servermgmt.pe.PEDomainsManager.createDomainXml(PEDomainsManager.java:266)
    at com.sun.enterprise.admin.servermgmt.pe.PEDomainsManager.createDomain(PEDomainsManager.java:109)
    at com.sun.enterprise.cli.commands.CreateDomainCommand.createTheDomain(CreateDomainCommand.java:285)
    at com.sun.enterprise.cli.commands.CreateDomainCommand.runCommand(CreateDomainCommand.java:145)
    at com.sun.enterprise.cli.framework.CLIMain.invokeCommand(CLIMain.java:135)
    at com.sun.enterprise.cli.framework.CLIMain.main(CLIMain.java:46)
    CLI130 Could not create domain, domain1
    Error : can not create domains
    Configuration failed for : DAS
    *** End configuring DAS***

Command /opt/SUNWappserver/appserver/bin/asadmin stop-domain domain1 generated the follwing outputs :

Output Log:
    Domain directory /var/appserver/domains is not a directory or does not exist.

Error Log:
    CLI157 Could not stop the domain domain1.