1 Reply Latest reply: Jul 11, 2006 3:00 PM by 807581 RSS

Web server instance is not starting.

I have installed iPlanet Fast Track 4.1 on a Windows 2000 server SP3. I am facing a peculiar problem that the administration server is starting up as designated on port 8888. Apart from this, I have set an instance of another Web Server to run at port 9000. However, this web server instance is not starting up at all. From the admin's web console, when I click on Server On button, it doesnt start & doesnt give any error. When I check the Eventviewer, I find an error as follows:

"The description for Event ID ( 25 ) in Source ( WebServer 4.1 ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. The following information is part of the event: https-server, 0."

Also, when I try to start the server from the command prompt by typing "net start server", I get the following error:

"The iWS (server) service could not be started. The service did not report an error."

Please help. This is very important for me to resolve.

Thanks in advance,

Ramesh.
        • 1. Re: Web server instance is not starting.
          Please note that iPlanet webserver 4.1 is not supported on Windows 2000, so no wonder you have issues. You might want to consider moving to webserver 6.1 which is supported on win 2000.

As a side note, your error looks like windows registry entries got corrupted somehow. The things you can try are:

1)delete your corrupted instance and recreate it back on.
          2)reinstall entire webserver 4.1